humidity help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
humidity help

hello, im know here and would like to see if anyone can help me out. i was given a white's tree frog, which was living in a rubbermaid tub. the tub itself keeps the humidity by just adding water, but its small. i have a spare 45 gallon tank i would like to move the frog into, the tank measures about 3 feet tall and 20inches wide. i set everything up for a test run to make sure the the temp would be stable with the light i have, which works fine, but no matter how much i mist the humidity will only rise to about 60, then it drops back down. i even went and bought an ultrasonic mister, but i quits once it splashes most of the water out of the dish. anyone have any ideas? i would like to have the humidity between 75-100%.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:05 PM

My first question would be what are you trying to measure humidity with? Most of those gauges I wouldn't give you .02 cents for, as they're never accurate. If you mist well, and if you partially cover a screen top, you're humidity will be more than fine.

-Pat
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patm View Post
My first question would be what are you trying to measure humidity with? Most of those gauges I wouldn't give you .02 cents for, as they're never accurate. If you mist well, and if you partially cover a screen top, you're humidity will be more than fine.

-Pat

i'm using one of the small gauges they sell at petsmart, i think it's made by exoterra. i made a screen top for the whole top area, but i cover half of it with a glass panel that i have. what would be a better choice when it comes to picking out a hydrometer?

another question, right now the only substrate i have is wood shavings, would adding a layer of potting soil, then the wood shavings and planting some live plants help hold moisture?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Covering half the top with glass is like not covering it at all. The glass needs to cover a good 95% of the top or the humidity will just float away.

What kind of wood shavings? Repti bark is one of the better substrates for humidity.

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ten gal planted:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 05:45 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Yeah, you can also use seran wrap, just make sure it won't melt under your light. The analog hygrometers tend to be inaccurate.

-Chris

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

hmm guess i need to make a new top. would a piece of wood work, then maybe a small screen section at the front? i think the seran wrap would melt because the light sits on top of the screen. the shavings i am using is t-rex jungle bed.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wood is going to soak up the humidity unless it is treated. Best to get another bit of glass

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 11:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Send a message via AIM to confuted
Or get some plexiglass (acrylic) cut at the local hardware store; the stuff is super cheap, but might deform if your lamps are hot.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 11:40 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by confuted View Post
Or get some plexiglass (acrylic) cut at the local hardware store; the stuff is super cheap, but might deform if your lamps are hot.
it will warp from the humidity.... I've tried

-Chris

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
acrylic?
warp from humidity?

really?
i always thought it was waterproof, being used to make aquariums and all...
i know heat will warp it though.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

well i bought a piece of plexi glass at lowes. i guess it can be a short term solution until it warps then i'll get a piece of glass. as for an opening for ventilation, how large should it be, the tank opening is roughly 18x20 inches and i cut the plexi so there is about 2 inches open on one side. would this work? also i have the screen top of the plexi so it covers the opening.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL View Post
it will warp from the humidity.... I've tried
I am doing something similar, I have an enclosed tank. 6 walls, 5 are solid the 6th is on a hinge, and it's made of acrylic. Tank is high humidity (80-90%) but roughly room temp (80 degrees -- hot apt I know)

The 6th wall is hinged from the bottom and has magnetic attachments on the top to keep it closed. To my surprise in high humidity the hinged wall is starting to buckle inwards. I guess the humidity causes the acrylic to expand slightly on the inside facing wall.

Anyhow since you have experience with this, my question is, will the door continue to warp or can i assume the warping I've seen over the course of 3 days is all that will occur? I can deal with the current warp but if it's going to continue I need to stop now and reassess the situation.

Thanks!
Lucas
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm really perPlexed by this. (Sorry, couldn't resist.) Are you sure the plexiglass is warping from humidity, or is higher temperature (even slightly?) causing one side to expand more than the other? I've never heard of Plexiglass absorbing water. (Of course, I've not heard of everything, either.) But whatever is causing the warping, perhaps gluing (or "welding") a narrow strip/rod of plexiglass along each side of the offending panel might reinforce it enough to prevent it from warping. (Make sure the panel is straight before glueing the braces.)
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 03:31 AM

I didn't think humidity would make a difference either.
I do not know what type of plastic/acrylic the tank is made of.

Outside the tank is 84 degrees, 7% humidity
Inside the tank is 78 degrees, 90% humidity

The door is 28" x 18" and is buckling in towards the humidity and lower temp.

I can deal with the current buckling but if it's going to warp further I need to do something about it. I don't want to install the struts right now as the tank is in use, so I would need to just drill holes and use some metal as a strut. To get the door to straighten out (if it even would on it's own) I would need to relocate everything inside the tank and let the tank cool/dry for a few days... I want to avoid this.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 10:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

[quote=lucasvickers;989913]Outside the tank is 84 degrees, 7% humidity
Inside the tank is 78 degrees, 90% humidity

Wow, sitting here in Mississippi, where any day with lower than 50% humidity feels refreshingly dry (even inside, with A/C going, it's still humid), I envy your 7% humidity. (Sigh) On the other hand, if the vast difference in humidity really is your problem, that could be why I've never seen it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode