Finally finished my 72g build - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Finally finished my 72g build

Just gotta add some 'pockets of dirt' for the few plants im going to have down there in the gravel area and more gravel on top.

What do ya think? Its going to house a Cuban Knight Anole which is currently ~5" long.

Im completely stumped about what plants I want to put in it and where I should get them from (was going to go with blackjungle but Ive been reading some horrible reviews about them lately). Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 05:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

ive had good luck with Black Jungle the few times Ive ordered. They're a bit pricey but plants are always top notch. I have an order that i placed about 3 weeks ago that has yet to ship because of weather. they take good care of your purchase in my opinion.

you can also try Josh's Frogs and NE herp. both have nice plants and are user friendly to work with. As far as species, look at your humidiy, temp and such then go with what looks best for you and the anole. if hes really active and dense, then go with a hardy pothos or something easy. and quick to root. delicate plants liek a suzi wong fern would just get monster trucked before it could take. If you can let the plants root for a few weeks and acclimate well, you'll have a better chance at more tricky species.

good luck, the tank looks great! plants will really make that BG work look nice!

JD
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! I didn't know about ne herp, their prices seem pretty good.

The temp and humidity are going to be in the 80s. I think got together a pretty large list of terrestrial plants to choose from, but im at a loss for epiphytes for the background. As of right now the little guy is just a little bigger than a hatchling and it takes them 2 years to start approaching adult size (~20" snout to tail) so does anyone got advice for epiphytes/BG cover plants that aren't delicate once they are very well established?)

Also, I'm going to keep the foreground gravel with a small amount of abg mix in key areas. Any suggestions for what to plant there?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 06:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdubz View Post
Thanks! I didn't know about ne herp, their prices seem pretty good.

The temp and humidity are going to be in the 80s. I think got together a pretty large list of terrestrial plants to choose from, but im at a loss for epiphytes for the background. As of right now the little guy is just a little bigger than a hatchling and it takes them 2 years to start approaching adult size (~20" snout to tail) so does anyone got advice for epiphytes/BG cover plants that aren't delicate once they are very well established?)

Also, I'm going to keep the foreground gravel with a small amount of abg mix in key areas. Any suggestions for what to plant there?
broms of course for epis and if you have vents up top, then certain species (albita) of tilly will work. the latter has to be able to dry out some between mistings. i have several in varying humidities (50-75ish) and they attach nicely with time and are quite hardy. when hes an adult you can just reinforce the base just a bit and it should hold well.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The top of the tank is well vented. When I have more money I am going to build a canopy with several computer fans and a pretty intricate ducting system to provide near random wind patterns. But for now it is just a custom screen/glass lid with much more screen than glass, hopefully I designed it well enough to retain humidity while allowing airflow. And the tank is in a room with an extremely powerful ceiling fan which is on most of the time.

Im still working on my plant list but this is what I got so far, what do you think?

Cryptanthus bivitattus
Fittonia albivenis
Hypoestes phyllostachya
Rabbits foot fern
Korean rock fern
Dischidia ruscifolia
Oak leaf creeping fig
Tillandsia brachycaulos
Tillandsia tenuifolia

And I'm running out of funds so I was thinking of going with a random 'value pack' of broms and potted plants from ne herp, and hopefully they give me some that I would be happy with.

Also do you think not having spagnum over the gravel might lead to a fungus/mold problem?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

those plants look good.....should be a good mix of leaf shape and color shades. love the rock fern.......any time you have stagnant water in a viv, u run the risk of mold. keep an eye on it and regulate as needed.

JD
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think (hopefully) my risk of stagnant water is relatively low, Im pretty confident in my false bottom set up, and above that is a 100 lbs of gravel ranging from the size of a golfball to sand. Home Depot treated me really well with the two bags that I bought.

Ive been researching and researching the plants on my wish list... Seriously, I probably should have placed this order last week since my list hasnt changed much. But, I guess as a throw back to my reef keeping days I am researching everything possible before making an order.

To get to the point I have read that Dischidia Ruscifolia (million hearts) is poisonous if consumed, and Ficus pumila 'quercifolia' (oak leaf creeping fig) can cause skin reactions.

I am guessing that since multiple sites list both of them as 'popular vivarium plants' they may be fine.. but anyone know if those plants may not be a good idea for a cuban knight anole (mostly a carnivore but has been known to supplement its diet with fruit)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode