Paludarium lighting... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Paludarium lighting...

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a light fixture for a 40b breeder. It's going to be a paladarium for Poison Dark Frog and real plants.

What are my options?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bump

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Exo terra makes all sorts of great lighting fixtures.

Make sure you get some sort of glass top, the large foot print of the breeder will make keeping high humidity a challange.

Can't wait to see pics!

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PS- you say 'paludarium' but please remember the Dart frog drown very easily, despite being 'frogs' they do not swim well.

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the info.

It would be 80% dirt and 20% water. I just want to have a little pool

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here is my first sketch....

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Needs to be no deeper than two inches of water at the most. And a really easy way out. If they get in enough water to lift their bodies off the bottom they can drown.

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Really!!

Thanks for the info.......I thing plans are going to chance!

One more thing.......

Which one is the way to go?

option 1

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...lestriplight36

option 2

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...pactlight1x96w

???

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Phoenix,

What type of light do you have and how many watts?

Is there any watts rule that I need to fallow with terrarium plants?

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Either one will work, there is no real wattage rule per se. I have two 26 watt CF and a hood by exoterra. Most mosses aren't into really high light.

What kind of 'dirt' are you going to use?

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

if you are going to do a dart frog you should go over to dartden.com

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 05:48 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Definately go with the t-5's, not the PC's. The PC's are overkill and your frogs will not enjoy the blinding light 8 inches above their heads.
But as previously stated, deep pools are a no-no for darts. Not to mention fruit flies always find their way directly to the water and drown themselves, mucking up your pool and leaving less food for your frogs to hunt.

-Pat
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the info....

I 'm not doing the pool and will keep things simple for now. I really like P.D.F. and right now I'm getting all the info to setup the best tank for them. I would start a journal when I get all the EQ ready.

Thanks!!!

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 02:46 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
I have a somewhat different view on the matter:

I have seen many dart tanks with water feature areas, most small and some rather deep... so perhaps a reasonable concern is the amount of surface provided that will aid the frogs in their attempts to get out of the water (ie: wood, rocks, etc). For a tank with as much floor space as a 40 breeder, a water feature won't detract from the usable area too much, imo. I agree that a false bottom will work well, plus LECA clay balls are an expensive alternative.

For lighting, I have found that the majority of terrarium plants will thrive given greater amounts and that compact florescents are superior in this regard. The amount of footcandles produced by power compacts is significantly higher than that of t8s or t5s. If your goal is only to grow some moss, philodendrons, and rabbits foot ferns that won't need much light, then perhaps less lighting would be sufficient and a better choice, but as I mentioned, many terrarium plants will appreciate higher lighting. So, I recommend looking into all the plants you might want to stock the tank with and then researching the appropriate light and moisture for all that you might be better able to select a light fixture and bulbs and also know where in the terrarium the various plants will do best. Many of the plants will be coming from very different enviroments, such as forest floor, canopy, the side or branch of a tree, cloud forests, etc - some will want a bright/dry spot (high in the tank), some a bright/wet spot, some a shady/wet spot, and so on.

There are many places to gain more insight into terrarium plant and dart frog husbandry - I like www.denroboard.com - it has forums dedicated to frogs, their health, plants, terrarium construction, and more. The vendor links there can point you in the direction of some very nice plants that are terrarium worthy, as well. I hope this isn't tmi.

Best of luck,
Mike
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 03:36 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unfortunately I feel just the opposite. Floor space doesn't matter with a water feature, it's all height. A 40-breeder is only like 16 inches high. Now take at least 6 inches of that (probably more like 8 inches) for a pump or for a false bottom above the water line and all of a sudden you only have 8-10 inches (if that) of useable space for plants. Not only does that cut down your plant options, but also your frog options as many enjoy climbing.

-Pat

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode