Tanks from the other side... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
Tanks from the other side...

Hi all,

I'm new to this site and wandering around... will probably be doing so for a while. Looks like a very complex hobby (planted tanks *under water*) and I would like to try it at some point, once I know enough.

So, I thought I'd post shots of some moist planted tanks for kicks.

This tank has gone through a lot of changes, mainly the constant addition of plants.

This one is more recent, but the upper area is a bit washed out due to lighting - looks much better in person..

Floor shot:

Anyway, this is a nice site and I'm looking forward to poking around a little more. Nice to see another green hobby.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looks amazing!!

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ten gal planted:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)
Mike welcome to plantedtank!

Very nice the both of them. The first one looks like a small chunk taken from the floor of the rain forest. Anything lucky enough to be living in there? Can you give some specifics on enclosure size and equipment. I'd love to attempt something like this one day but you say the submersed planted tank seems complex... from this side *this* looks complex.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJG View Post
Mike welcome to plantedtank!

Very nice the both of them. The first one looks like a small chunk taken from the floor of the rain forest. Anything lucky enough to be living in there? Can you give some specifics on enclosure size and equipment. I'd love to attempt something like this one day but you say the submersed planted tank seems complex... from this side *this* looks complex.

Thanks for the comments, Mr JG, and thanks for the welcome. I'm always hoping to capture a bit of rainforest in every tank, but it's hard to make a really natural setting with most readily available materials.

I do have some animals in these tanks. Both contain O. pumilio dart frogs (two different morphs/locatities) in the tanks. They are very interesting to keep and are somewhat arboreal, so they utilize much of the areas planted with epiphytes, like the bromeliads. These are unlike many other dart frogs, as the female remembers where she leaves each tadpole (usually in a plant with a leaf axil that can hold some water) and returns to it every few days to deposit a 'feeder' egg that is infertile and is the only food these tadpoles accept. This kind of reproductive behavior in dart frogs is called obligate egg feeding. Just a little trivia in case anyone ever asks..

These frogs are pretty small, about the size of a fingernail, so the tanks are modestly sized - the first tank is approximately a 20" cube and the second is 18w/18d/24"h. However, I'm learning that bigger is better when it comes to generating a naturalistic display. The kind of equipment I use in most tanks, in terms of electronics, is usually a freshwater compact florescent or standard flo, 6,500-6,700K is what most use, but I've used 10,000K in addition to 6,700K on the first tank and everything has grown all right. Sometimes a small sub pump is used for a water feature, but I don't make them often to avoid the loss of land area and the headache that making them tends to produce. One thing I like to use in any tank that has plants sensitive to air movement, like many orchids, etc, is a small computer fan for internal circulation - internal because, unless the tank is very large, even a small fan exchanging tank air for the outside air will greatly reduce the humidity that is so important to the frogs and some plants. As you can see, I haven't perfected a method for concealing the fans yet. In any case the internal air movement prevents a lot of molds and such from germinating on and rotting the moist plants.

It's true, things are more or less complicated depending on where you're coming from. I didn't hop right into terrariums, it took a while to figure some things out. I grow some plants that aren't for beginners, but most of what I grow are epiphytes, so they don't need a lot of ferts and C02 has never been something to worry about either, so I see water filled tanks as requiring a good deal of research.

Here are some frog shots:

In the first tank (O. pumilio 'Isla Bastimentos')

Here is one almost fully developed in a small bromeliad

Poor shot, but this a neonate with mom

These are in the second tank (O. pumilio 'Cayo De Agua'):

A male is calling in this shot

Two males calling

Female transporting a tad

Mike
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Send a message via AIM to pandjpudge
looks great,very natural, and love the frogs!

[email protected] cRSX krew
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Beuatiful!
I have been wanting to set up a viv/terr/palu for quite some time, but I'm greatly intimidated.
Do you know of any frog species that are suitable for a beginner, such as myself, when and if the times comes for me to venture into the jungle?

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Algae Grower

All I can say is WOW!!!!
You have amazing tanks, healthy plants, beautiful frogs that are BREEDING!!!
Most of the time I see the bumblebee and the blue darts, great to see these two, less common frogs. The second tank does pale in comparison to the first ATM, but with time one should rival the other. Great, really great. Thanks for making me suffer (sarcastic but friendly tone)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 06:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
nice! you have great plant selection. i have sen many dart frog vivs where the keepers were clearly spending more time regarding the frogs than the vegetation, and included just a few bromeliads and creeping fig and maybe some moss, but you have clearly spent some time and thought (and cash) accumulating some less common plants. you have a number of nice miniature orchids and also other things. the variety of plant life really enhances the texture of the whole thing.

have you ever made any trips down to Costa Rica or anyplace like that?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 04:26 AM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
Wow. Incredible. This reaaalllly makes me want to set up a frog vivarium

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via Skype™ to paulrw
wow i have been keeping herps all my life i just recently got into planted tanks. that is one of the coolest tanks of any style i have ever seen kudos and boo to you i think you have turned me on to a new addiction! awsome! i have tried this before with less humidity sensitive plants and fauna but always had problems with some sort of gnats have you experienced this if so what was your solution thanks
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 04:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow that looks stunning!!! Im so jealous! The only thing realy holding my back from starting one of these is... well... is there any way to control moisture droplets from forming on your tank with all the humidity? I would like it to always be a pleasent viewing experience =]

My New Re-scaped 56 Gallon Journal~

My old 56G

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP_123 View Post
The only thing realy holding my back from starting one of these is... well... is there any way to control moisture droplets from forming on your tank with all the humidity? I would like it to always be a pleasent viewing experience =]
There's actually a few ways, manual such as a wipe down with a cloth, etc., but I use a magnetic aquarium cleaner, so I dont have to reach in and disturb my frogs every time I want someone to see them. That, or various types of ventilation. Specifically 'euro(pean) style' which basically is holes at the bottom of the tank, and at the top, that allow air flow across the front pane of glass to keep it fog-free.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 01:18 PM
Algae Grower

Arrow Plant list

Hi, you indeed have lovely tanks, it is pleasure to look at them. Maybe you should setup a webcam and charge people to see it..

Would you be able to send us a list of the plants used? I would like to try just the plants on a small tank.

Thanks,
Luis
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Awsome! I know nothing about vivariums, so this is a stupid question, but how do you keep the tanks humid??? Good Job!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode