My Vivariums: Zoo Med 12x12x18 & 18x18x24 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
My Vivariums: Zoo Med 12x12x18 &amp; 18x18x24

This thread started as a question about growin plants in a front opening terrarium. I'm now documenting my progress here. It's been fun so far, so read through and also check out AquaAurora, bsantucci, and many others for some nice setups, ideas, and inspirations.

Current pic of the 12x12x18

Original post:
Has anyone used one of these to grow tropical plants successfully? I was thinking of setting one up, but I haven't seen anyone use it or comment about growing plants in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Glass-Terrarium-18-Inch/dp/B000OQW98Q/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0G3XP5BRY83Z5Z2G6GXY
If you have one, a comment and some pictures would be awesome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Mr Aqua 7.5 Cube Paludarium | Zoo Med Nano Tall & Small Tall Vivariums
Fraternity of Dirt #168

Last edited by knm<><; 02-24-2015 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Changed thread name
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Anyone?

|
Fraternity of Dirt #168
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 12:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
It should be fine, I have a buddy with two of those tanks sitting around. I've always been tempted to try and buy one off of him. The base is water tight, there are lots of vents and you may want to fashion a glass topper if you want high humidity without being in the tank every other day.a single 23~ watt cfl should be plenty of light in a good reflector pointed downwards. The eco-terra hoods point the bulbs horizontally, although the are matching.

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes, the glass top would be a must I think. For a light I would go with the 10 inch clamp shop light from Lowe's with a 23w cfl. I would also paint the outside of it black to match the tank. What did your friend use the tanks for?

|
Fraternity of Dirt #168
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I can't recall who but I saw someone with a photo of thier cat in front of one of those, was nicely planted.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 02:50 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
That was me. Heres a video of the tank:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o69WYWUzmQ
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 02:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMO View Post
That was me. Heres a video of the tank:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o69WYWUzmQ
Aw man that's SICK! In a good way. I love it!

post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, I'm sold. What size is that one?

|
Fraternity of Dirt #168
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 04:09 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
I hope you decide to go for it. I was inspired by a very nice vivarium at my local pet store. Mine is the 18x18x24. This was my first go at using great stuff foam on the background, not too hard to work with. I used hydroton as a false bottom, some people use egg crate, its personal preference. The hydroton acts as bio media, as well as allows for changes on the fly if need be. I used a piece of landscaping weed fabric as a barrier between my substrate (coco) and the false bottom. Make sure if you have a water feature to wrap the pump tightly with a filter sock of some kind. The sediment will get to the lowest point, its inevitable.

After spending a good long while gazing at the aquarium, its great to switch over and park it in front of the terrarium for a while. Makes for great contrast having this next to a planted tank. People always get a kick out of it when I have company.

The aforementioned cat picture:

post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 04:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=4
This gives more choices on sizes but It seems the Exo is vented etc so...

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 06:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I dont wanna buy one new, but I'm always scanning craigslist for one. You shouldn't have any trouble at all doin what you'd like.

post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

BigMO, do you have a build thread for this?

|
Fraternity of Dirt #168
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 01:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
I just set up a dart frog tank in an 18x18x18 recently. The tank is great and plants are growing well. I am going to add a few different plants soon (i'm new to these and learning the plants, these were plants from a starter pack).

Here's mine:

post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I like it, and the frogs! Nice job making the planting pockets on the wall. I was debating getting one of these or another tank (petco 6.25 Arc). I'm pretty positive I'll get one of these. Now, do I want to start with the 12x12x18 or spend double and get the 18x18x24? Decisions, decisions...

|
Fraternity of Dirt #168
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 04:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knm<>< View Post
I like it, and the frogs! Nice job making the planting pockets on the wall. I was debating getting one of these or another tank (petco 6.25 Arc). I'm pretty positive I'll get one of these. Now, do I want to start with the 12x12x18 or spend double and get the 18x18x24? Decisions, decisions...
Thanks! Personally, I'd go as large as you can afford. My 18x18x18 i feel is kinda tight. I wish I went with the 18x18x24.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode