Questions about a nano terrarium. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Questions about a nano terrarium.

This year I have put a 5.5g on my xmas list and hopefully I will get one.

I plan on making a nano terrarium out of it and was wanting some advice.

First off it would be a 5.5g with a 25w cfl over it.

I want to grow some small ferns and Hc.

so here are my questions

1) What kind of substrate would be good?
2) could i Add as small pool that used the whole substrate as a resivoir?
3) any suggestions on some small ferns to keep in this?
4) would the hc grow well in that light emmersed? And would it need anything other than a good substrate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 12:29 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
1. Coco bedding, Aqua Soil if you wish, some other substrates work great too depending on what you are keeping in the tank (tho I doubt anything will be in this tank)
2. Yes, but you might want to change the water every so often
3. Not sure about ferns that would be that small. Anubias Petite would look great, tho it is not a fern
4. Yes. If you aren't keeping animals in the tank, you could give it root tabs (I have done this with great success) if you use the coco bedding
Here is my old 2.5 gallon nano terrarium:

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

So great to hear from you. Your the reason I am wanting to start up this terrarium.

Other than nana petite what would be some good things?

Also could I mix in some kind of soil with my coir for added nutrients instead of root tabs?

And there will be no animals in this tank.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 01:02 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness9876 View Post
So great to hear from you. Your the reason I am wanting to start up this terrarium.

Other than nana petite what would be some good things?

Also could I mix in some kind of soil with my coir for added nutrients instead of root tabs?

And there will be no animals in this tank.
lol, thanks As far as the substrate goes, the sky is the limit, since there will be no animals. You could use plain yard mud if you wanted, and it would work great because it has great nutrients. Other good plants would be mosses, maybe some crypts, a small brom. or maybe other aquarium stem plants

-Chris

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Well, this might sound a little like a hick to you but i are on so...

I have a really big garden and we have goats cows and horses and we put about 1-2 tons of those animals.... well you get the picture i'm sure and I was wondering if that, some sand, pea gravel, compost, and coir would work well? Will that have enough nutrients and such. ( I think it would, the season before this one we got 200# of peppers and 500# of tomatoes out of it and its only 18x40')

So now more noob questions

is hc really as hard as they say it is?
Should I have a piece of glass cut to fit the top to keep humidity really high?
What kind of broms do you suggest?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 01:26 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Well, this might sound a little like a hick to you but i are on so...

I have a really big garden and we have goats cows and horses and we put about 1-2 tons of those animals.... well you get the picture i'm sure and I was wondering if that, some sand, pea gravel, compost, and coir would work well? Will that have enough nutrients and such. ( I think it would, the season before this one we got 200# of peppers and 500# of tomatoes out of it and its only 18x40')

So now more noob questions

is hc really as hard as they say it is?
Should I have a piece of glass cut to fit the top to keep humidity really high?
What kind of broms do you suggest?
pfft, I live in KY, you're no hick . That might work, I've never tried it. HC really isn't that hard. I currently have it growing in my nano with no co2 or ferts You can use the glass or simply use seran wrap

-Chris

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

I know that with certain animals its a big deal if you use glass or plexi as the glass will block certain spectrums of light. Will this be a problem with using a glass top?

I wouldn't imagine it would because it won't have animals. I like to go a little classier than seran though, unless its just a quick thing.

Everybody makes hc out to be really intimidating but I have heard it grows much better above water than it does below it. I guess I'll just have to try.

Any suggestions on the broms?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)
this is interesting SUBSCRIBED

keep us updated!

lol at KY joke i used to live there yall lol but i don't really have an accent just picked up some words, i miss the leaves falling......

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Well, you might have to be subscribed for a long while, you have to wait for christmas and you have to wait on me to post pics because I have slow slow dial up because i'm a hick and live where it takes 5k to get cable run to my house.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Quote:
This year I have put a 5.5g on my xmas list and hopefully I will get one.

I plan on making a nano terrarium out of it and was wanting some advice.

First off it would be a 5.5g with a 25w cfl over it.

I want to grow some small ferns and Hc.

so here are my questions

1) What kind of substrate would be good?
2) could i Add as small pool that used the whole substrate as a resivoir?
3) any suggestions on some small ferns to keep in this?
4) would the hc grow well in that light emmersed? And would it need anything other than a good substrate?
1. coconut fiber with organic fertz is great. a mixture of AS and something else might work. i think AS on its own might be a bit too acidic for some plants (since it wouldnt have a lot of water to leech the acidity into, it would be more concentrated).

2. not if you plan on putting a drainage layer, it would drain into it, or there would be no point in having the d. layer. if you wont have a drainage layer, then sure, go ahead. however, that will limit your plant choices because the water would seep into the soil and waterlog it. that would be great for growing aquatic plants emmersed, but terrestrial ferns' roots would suffocate.

3. heart ferns. i <3 heart ferns. (get it?) lol

4. HC would do well. so long as you kept the humidity good enough.
so for that you would need a hygrometer.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

What is a hygrometer?

And by keep the humidity good enough what do you mean?

The humidity would be quite high with the glass sheet on the top.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Quote:
What is a hygrometer?
it measures humidity. pretty much every viv with animals has it.
the round thing that goes from 0-100%.

Quote:
And by keep the humidity good enough what do you mean?
if they humidity is too low, the HC will dry out.

Quote:
The humidity would be quite high with the glass sheet on the top.
if you put a glass or acrylic cover, it should be. just leave some place that air can go through.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
i live where it takes 5k to get cable run to my house.
We should revolt! I live in a metropolitan area and we pay a lot for cable. I'm sure that we more than subsidize the cost of running cable to your area.

That said, good luck with the terrarium!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

So, I have never done anything with great stuff.

Who thinks this should be my first attempt at a sculpted background?

I would only do one corner with the greatstuff and driftwood and then leave the rest as a broken slate background with grout. I think it would look pretty sweet, kind of a rock/dirt outcrop. I could incorporate some holes for planting broms and a heart fern as well. Infact I would actually probably do 3 sides and only leave the front because I won't be able to see the tank sides where it will be anyway.

Then for substrate I think that eco complete would be good as i can get a bag and do both of my 5.5's with it.

I think since a couple people are interested in this I will keep this updated with whats going on.

So far it is scheduled to be a 5.5g all-glass aquarium.

It will have an all-glass incandescent hood fitted with a 25w cfl. As well as a sheet of glass to cover the top to raise humidity.

3 sides will be covered with slate and grout. Then pieces of driftwood will be siliconed in place and great stuff will be applied to give it a rock outcrop feel. The great stuff will also incorporate planting spots. The 3 sides will be painted to hide the foam from the outside.

The substrate will be black eco complete.

Then it will be planted with a hc groundcover, some anubis nana petite, and some broms.

What do you think of the plan so far.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode