A few basic questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
A few basic questions

I have found myself in a position were I need some help, please.
I have just built a new tank that was intended to be used as a planted fishtank. The tank was designed to fit in my upstairs lounge but as my house is over 100 years old I am worried about the strength of the upstairs floor boards.
On this basis I have decide to utilize the tank to keep something different that wont require the tank to be filled with water.
I would like advice on heating, lighting, decor & of course inhabitants but first can I show you what i have got to work with.

the tank measures 100 x 500 x 600cm high but I have space to extend the height depending on misting, lighting equipment?
I would like to set the tank up as a tropical rain forest, I fancy a automatic rain system fed from a reservoir, I have loads of lighting available from tubes to metal halide. The plants are very important to me, I really want the tank to look good, full up with healthy live plants.
Whatever animals go in the tank I would like to be very small, I would rather a lizard than a frog but I do need advice?

Last edited by foxfish; 10-21-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I don't have any specific information to offer you, but I just want to say that while you wait for answers here, you should check out dendroboard.com, which is all about vivariums and terrariums. It's like the planted tank, but geared almost entirely towards amphibian and reptile environments.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 09:17 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)
Check out this thread posted by @[email protected]:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/vi...terrarium.html

Very nice set-up you have BTW....

James

50 gal Planted (Always under construction).......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks guys but I think I am more interested in the plants than the frogs, do you think I can try & fill out the tank with the sort of plants we are more familiar with & grow them immersed?
I was thinking about planting loads of HC in the foreground, moss on the sides & maybe a sword or two as centerpieces?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)
Quite a few aquatic plants do very well growing emersed. In fact one recommended way to grow HC is to start it emersed, and when it is established well, fill your tank to immerse it.
James

50 gal Planted (Always under construction).......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So I have set up the tank with a sump underneath, I fitted a small pump in the sump that feeds water to the pond area & overflows back. I have connected the other tank drain in the dry area of the tank so that will take any excess water back to the sump as well.
I have fitted a 100w heater in the sump & 3 x tubes above the tank - sounds good well maybe but it dont work! All I can see on the front glass is condensation!
I guess I need some form of warm air directed on the glass?
PS I joined dendroboard but no one has answered my pleas for help!

Last edited by foxfish; 10-21-2009 at 08:30 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have been giving this some thought! I understand how condensation forms on the inner glass but short of equalizing the room & tank temp how can I achieve a humid warm environment without condensation? Would double glazing work?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
airflow over the glass pane inside of the viv would stop condensation from occuring. look at an exo-terra. thats one of the features that air goes in the vents in the black plastic which are angled upwards, so the air goes along the front pane.

try looking on vivariumforum.com
they are really helpful.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode