Paludarium..To sump or not to sump..that is the question. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Paludarium..To sump or not to sump..that is the question.

Well, I just picked up a 27g bow front tank. i was just going to make a somewhat simple viv with a little water feature. The tank came with a Eheim 2213 Canister Filter and stand. This is really why i am considering doing a Paludarium with a sump system.

So my questions is. Is a sump system really over kill for a 27g Paludarium? or would be be a good thing to do/pratice? ive been reading a TON on these forums(great amount of info) ive heard really nothing but good about sumps..but most of the Paludarium are in much bigger tanks..40g+.

So if anyone can give me some pointers and/or input that would be great. i know there are LOTS of great minds out there!

thanks in advance.
-james
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 03:28 PM

Well, depending on how large you make the water area, you may not need it for stability. Sumps do help hide equipment and such, and if you have the time/money I'd certainly recommend it, since space is going to be at a premium in a 27G paludarium.

I've created a 30 gallon half water/half land paludarium and it didn't really work out.. both areas were kinda small, and the water area ended up being reletively inaccessable for matainence. I would suggest that you either pick a mostly water setup with some emerse plants (say 3/4+ water) or a mostly land setup for a tank of that size.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hey,

Thanks for the reply..geez took long enough! lol..But a bit of an update. ive started the project few days ago and found out the whole tank is made with tempered glass. So i cant drill it. So, now im just going to make a normal viv with a little pond area and get a new much bigger tank for my Paludarium. I have my eye on a 72g bow front! cant wait!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 02:31 AM

Being timely is one of my great strengths

Glad to hear you took my advice.

Here's my construction thread so you can learn from my mistakes: http://www.vivariumforum.com/communi...aludarium.html

The 72 should make a fine paludarium. Make sure you plan it all out beforehand, as you won't be able to change the background/hardscape easily. Doubly true for a great stuff/silicone/cocofiber background. Silicone and great stuff are expensive in the quantities you'll be using them in.

Make sure all the plumbing/misting/etc work with it. If you'll be using the PVC/egg crate method I used (I thought it worked well.. it let me convert the tank back into an aquarium when I wanted to.. some guides call for using great stuff directly on the glass), run all the plumbing through it to test it before you start using great stuff. Make sure you integrate the plumbing into the background.

Make the background as thin as reasonably possible for structual stability. Don't bother creating an 'island' like I did as it uses up a massive amount of space for not much scaping gain.

And while I'm most certainly not a super experienced paludarium keeper.. planning is really key. Much more than a planted tank, since you can't just adjust driftwood, trim and replant.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks man, Ya i know planning is huge, even with my 29g i planned so much, made a plan list and made sure i had everything before i started. I ordered a mistking "value" system. Just wait for that to come in.

Thanks for the reply.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode