diy rip planters? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
diy rip planters?

I'm wanting to make a planter to fill a gap I have between the edge of the tank, and the tank lid. The gap is 1" x4", and since I'll be keeping wild bettas in the tank, that's an unacceptably big gap. Is there an easy way to make rectangular planters? I know that I could probably use clean plastic bottles, but I do want this to look fairly nice as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
This is a little bigger than the gap..but I've seen others link this one before...
Not exactly rectangular either..

http://www.amazon.com/InterDesign-Suction-Bath-Caddy-Clear/dp/B0014XQC90
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Something like that might work, but the closer to size and shape it is, the better. I'm actually thinking plastic canvas cut and tied into a box, but I haven't figured out how to attach it to the tank. Suction cups are an option, but I'm not impressed by the price of ones meant for aquariums, and I'm not sure of the holding power of other ones.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 01:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I was going to suggest using plastic canvas to build something.
Maybe just use another piece to form a rim that sticks out on all sides an extra 1/4" or 1/2" or however much is necessary.

Or run some horizontal rods through the holes near the top, so they extend and support the planter on the back rim of the aquarium and the edge of the lid.

Or use some sort of coated wire, and bend it to a shape that works to support the planter. Just make sure the ends of the wire aren't in the tank, and the metal should be isolated. You could even just take a wire hanger and put it in some old airline or something similar.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 05:27 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Glass is easy to cut, and silicone will hold it together. You can silicone it into place as well.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Not a bad idea if this were a larger planter. For something of this size though, and given that I have no silicone, I reaaaaally don't feel like buying any, hahaha. But that's making me think in-tank refugiums, which could be really cool in a freshwater tank.

I'll go with the plastic canvas, if I can find any. My alternative would be a plastic bathroom stuff-holder. I found one that could have worked, with some modification, but it was $7 and I figure the plastic canvas will be cheaper, and can be made to size. I'm needing more hides for this tank, so I figure I can use leftover canvas and make caves, and cover the outside of both the planter and the caves with moss. I've got other non-aquarium projects I might use the canvas for, but that's in the future.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 04:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
i think you could zip tie some plastic mesh. i use all kinds of suction cups in mine and they all work fine. dollar store has plastic caddys for tooth brushes and thsoe suctions are great! just buy one of those and take them off. they also sell zip ties. craft stores have hte mesh for cheap too.

---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--
---
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I've us plastic shower caddy for my riparium planters, but what I have is about 2x a big as your opening (but its not like mine are the only size available).

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode