55 Gallon Riparium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
55 Gallon Riparium

Just a little background, the tank has been set up for about a year now. It has been neglected and it has never looked good, so I'm hoping this will turn out nice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	354985

So I just got my plants from The Riparium Store and they look really nice! All the plants came in great condition (except the plant that I accidentally broke). The plants (I think) are:
Acorus gramineus
Zepheranthes
Asclepias
Lizard's Tail
Ruellia
Pilea (trellis raft)
Chrysalidocarpus lutenscen

Click image for larger version

Name:	image (2).jpg
Views:	161
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	354993

The driftwood was put in minutes ago and floats so I have a few rocks on it. Once it stops floating I will situate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Look forward to seeing the riparium plants grow in! Whats your fish stock? Looks like 2 angels and 3... something?

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Look forward to seeing the riparium plants grow in! Whats your fish stock? Looks like 2 angels and 3... something?
I have 2 angels, 3 congo tetras, and 4 kuhli loachs but I'm planing on getting rid of the angels and tetras and I wanna get some smaller, brighter colored fish. do you have any suggestions?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 03:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
What's your water params (pH and hardness)? Will help narrowing down a list of options.
If the tank is 4' you can try rainbowfish, there are several colorful breeds. I personally like the turquoise rainbowfish but that's because blue is my favorite color so that's a biased opinion ^^'. Bosemen is a common rainbowfish with a blue front half and orange/yellow back end.
If you have high ph and hard water and do not plan to have plants below water, just above you can look into other -possibly African- cichlids (the types that's usually only get hardscape tanks ) but you may need more rocks/hiding places. Only colorful cichlid I can remember the name of is yellow labs, but there are plenty of colorful ones... Be sure to research compatabiliy and such, many cichlids are VERY aggressive and best to add all the ones you plan for all at once.
If you're looking to something less aggressive maybe get a small colorful schooling fish such as neon or cardinal tetra (warning cardinals seem to die off a lot research those water condition needs) and a centerpiece fish... Ooh! Pearl gourami are a lovely fish can be kept in small groups and make a nice centerpiece... But didn't know if they will look too similar to angels for your liking (not in same family-angels are cichlids and gourami's are in the betta family... Starts with an "a".. Anabantiod that's it).
There are tons of other options.. But I'm a little brain fried right now so I can't think of any... If you'd like to hear ideas from others post a thread in the FISH forum with title like "stocking ideas for riparium 55g?" And add your tank photo, water parameters and what you do want:colorful fish, and do not:no angels. Lot of people will post cool ideas for you to look into ^^

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~

Last edited by AquaAurora; 08-09-2014 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Auto correct was not correct =.=
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
What's your water params (pH and hardness)? Will help narrowing down a list of options.
If the tank is 4' you can try rainbowfish, there are several colorful breeds. I personally like the turquoise rainbowfish but that's because blue is my favorite color so that's a biased opinion ^^'. Bosemen is a common rainbowfish with a blue front half and orange/yellow back end.
If you have high ph and hard water and do not plan to have plants below water, just above you can look into other -possibly African- cichlids (the types that's usually only get hardscape tanks ) but you may need more rocks/hiding places. Only colorful cichlid I can remember the name of is yellow labs, but there are plenty of colorful ones... Be sure to research compatabiliy and such, many cichlids are VERY aggressive and best to add all the ones you plan for all at once.
If you're looking to something less aggressive maybe get a small colorful schooling fish such as neon or cardinal tetra (warning cardinals seem to die off a lot research those water condition needs) and a centerpiece fish... Ooh! Pearl gourami are a lovely fish can be kept in small groups and make a nice centerpiece... But didn't know if they will look too similar to angels for your liking (not in same family-angels are cichlids and gourami's are in the betta family... Starts with an "a".. Anabantiod that's it).
There are tons of other options.. But I'm a little brain fried right now so I can't think of any... If you'd like to hear ideas from others post a thread in the FISH forum with title like "stocking ideas for riparium 55g?" And add your tank photo, water parameters and what you do want:colorful fish, and do not:no angels. Lot of people will post cool ideas for you to look into ^^
My pH is around 7 so thatís not a problem. I donít know if there is enough room for those big rainbows. I am thinking about some furcata rainbowfish. They are small and have a very bright yellow color. Also, I love pearl gourami! In fact, I have one already. She is in my 20 gallon and I am thinking about getting her a guy friend and putting them in the 55.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 10:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Is this a closed top? If so, it would be ideal for growing Crypts emersed in a planter! Most Cryptocoryne species are far more likely to produce spathes while emersed. Might add some nice pops of color from time to time!

RAOK Club #24

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode