Rock landing terrace for mudskipper tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Rock landing terrace for mudskipper tank

I am planning a mudskipper tank/fig 8 puffer tank and wanted to build a foam rock landing that covers half the ten gallon tank, but theere would be a large cave under the landing for the fig 8 to swim freely. If anyone has dont this or knows what materials are safe, please contact me by pm or post here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
a 10 gallon is too small for your future pets. i wouldnt go with anything less than a 35 gallon.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

there would only be two inhabitants, and F8s only get 6 cm

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 07:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

sorry if i sound to negative but skippers grow to be about 6 inches and do best in groups. Most people recommend at least a 48 inch tank to develop territories. Im sure that some people may have had sucess but the skipper will be just to big for your tank and the hardscape together. I encourage you to not give up but get a bigger tank. One skipper will not lift its dorsal fin and display but several actually form a community and challenge for territory all the time. You will find that they are much more active in groups and if your lucky they may even breed.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ok, well i havent set up the tank yet, but i do have a 29 gallon that is not in use at the time, i could use that. What materials would be safe for the landing though?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 03:34 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
As far as the mudskippers go it depends, it's not a general rule that they get 6 inches, some get up to a foot and the smallest get around 4 inches, but that seems to be the happy medium for most in the pet trade (well those easily obtained) usually get between 6-10 inches. In saying that, if you look around you'll find ways people make terraces, backgrounds, and the like out of foam by heating it up with a blow dryer...look on any cichlid forum and you're bound to find something like that. Other than that, you could always make it out of rocks and cork...or find some decent driftwood that would server your purpose...even with the right arrangement rockwork will allow you to make a terrace, just the sand or gravel might not stay in one place if you plan to have a current. I used slate one time to stack up against gravel/rocks/sand and made a terrace for some toad tadpoles to crawl out on. It seemed to work fine for them...

Kevin

Sheer Madness!!!

Last edited by psybock; 07-16-2008 at 04:43 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via AIM to nellis
I would echo what others are saying about the 10 gallon. The puffer is not going to be super happy in a tank that small.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 04:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You could try looking for landings designed for turtles, they float and look like rocks. what kind of skippers are you getting?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

okay, i have the 29 gallon seasoning now. i will look into the turtle landings, i would like some suggestions on what skippers to get.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Indian mudskippers. They only get about 4 inches long and are better suited for your tank size.

http://www.franksaquarium.com/brackish.htm

Last edited by spinycheek; 07-25-2008 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Adding more info
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ok. ill look into them
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
I should point out that mudskippers like to have a lot more land than just a "terrace".
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

yea i figured, it is going to cover half of the top of the tank, it will be maybe 3 inches thick. i will have a plexi glass cover and the tank will be about 85% full.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I realize this post is old but i am wondering how your tank worked out i came acrss this post and it sounds interesting. Any pics?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It worked great. I used a non toxic well its like plaster but its not cholky kinda like a concrete mix. It was really neat, i had a fig 8 in there also, but my uncle is really big into SW so i gave the tank and the two little guys to his daughter, for a birthday gift. They live in wisconsin, so i prolly cant get pics. It was neat he paid for express shipping for the whole thing, fish seperate container obviously. But the last i heard the fish were doing fine. I havent been on in a while, wrestling has taken up alot of time, districts are this weekend, hopefully ill move onto state. wow i got off topic quick lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode