My First Viv - 10 Gallon Vert Build - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
My First Viv - 10 Gallon Vert Build

Hello everyone. I recently decided to take the plunge and build a vivarium. I had an extra 10 gallon tank laying around the house so I decided to use that. All of my building supplies and plants should be here in a couple days. Until then, I have the glass front and screen to work on. I will be using a 8.5" clamp lamp from my local hardware store (still have to pick it up). The glass front will be attached to the plastic frame of the tank with GE Silicone II. A 6" acrylic hinge will attach to the bottom piece of glass and the larger middle one, making a door that swings out and down.

So far this is what I have gotten...

Too poor to keep any tanks up
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok, so I got a little bit more done. I purchases a clamp lamp, and it's housing a 26 watt compact flourescent bulb. Will this be ok for lighting my viv? I also had my glass cut for only $1.30. Pretty good, considering I can't even get a pop for that anymore. . I finished up the screen, and all my supplies should be arriving really soon.

Sorry if I am posting to may pictures of stuff that's not real interesting, I just know that when I'm new to a hobby and look for build threads, I like to see the stuff that's not really interesting, and lots of pictures.

Hopefully you understood that

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
What do you plan on growing/keeping in this vivarium? What kind of water/land ratio? How deep will the water be?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 04:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
davefan13 -

I would appreciate it if you detailed the steps you will take with the Greatstuff usage as well as the silicone application. I am strongly considering building a 55 gallon vivarium, but I am a little confused as to what I need to do with the egg crate / greatstuff / silicone. If you were to detail some of those steps, I think it would help some people like me.

Thanks for sharing!

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Frosty-I plan on keeping a few bromiliads, a wandering jew vine, and a pothos plant. I may add more, but that's what I have so far. Once established, I am hoping to put a pair of Dendrobates leucomelas in there.

Biscuit-First off, check out dendroboard.com. It's a great website. As for the Great Stuff, I was a little weary off it because this is my first viv as well. I just sprayed it on and pressed the driftwood into it. It worked very well, and after almost 24 hours it is holding up incredibly well. If you need any more help, just PM me and I will be glad to help.

Here are some pics. I got my box of supplies and started to unpack everything. I didn't realize that you needed to measure out the amount of water to soak coco fiber in, and I just plopped it into a big bucket. Needless to say, the brick was quite wet. I have basically spent the past day baking it, setting it out in the sun, and squeezing the excess water out of it. I would say for anyone who is going to get coco fiber brick soon, use to little water rather than to much. Add water is much easier than getting rid of it.

Now for the pics.

Coco fiber laying out.

And the GS background. I didn't use any silicone on the background, and I'm not sure if it will be a problem or not but I never read that you should, so hopefully it will be OK.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Got some work done today. Started off by finishing the background, putting silicone onto the Great Stuff and then patting down coco fiber onto it. When that was done, I siliconed the screen and bottom piece of glass into place. Once these are totally set I will put the hinges and clasp on.

Pics...

Dry fitting of the hinge and clasp.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
This is going to be a cool viv!

~Tori

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
why is it turned on its side?
are you planning on keeping an tree-dwelling lizard or frog in there?

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It's vertical because I plan on keeping a pair or trio of fairly arboreal leucomelas dart frogs. There will be lots of land space, but also lots of vertical space for them to climb if they want.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok, well I have done a few more things on the viv. First off, in the last pic of the background you can see that there are lots of little white spots. I fixed most of those, and also made sure that the background was siliconed to the side of the glass really well.

I have also finished the front of the viv. One thing that I learned with my clasp is that you don't need a handle to open it, because the piece on the front of the glass works just as well . Good thing it was like a $.80 acrylic knob that I ordered :lol:

I also received my plants in the mail. I got a cryptanthus "bronze". I am not really happy with this at the moment...mostly because I thought it was a brom. But I'll throw it in the tank and see how it does. I also got a Neoregelia "Hot Pink" brom. I was really please with this, and hopefully it will color up nicely in the tank. For the tropical plant I got a pothos, but it seems really big right now. I'm not sure how well it will do in my small 10 gallon, but hopefully it's not to bad. Finally, the other plant that I am really excited about, is the Wandering Jew vine. I've heard this gives really great ground and background coverage and grows well.

I may end up ordering a fern, another brom or two, and possibly a different tropical, but I'm gonna put them in the viv and see how things are going first.

Pics will come later tonight probably.......

Oh, and I have already started compiling a list of frogs that I want :lol: . Here they are, listed from my planned frog for this tank, the backup(s), and then my "wish list"

D. Leucomelas - For this tank. Will do well in a vert and a good beginner frog. Easy to obtain and farily cheap.
P. Vittatus - My first choice for a backup. I've heard that it's a good climber, so will do well in a vert, and a hardy beginner frog. No local breeders have them, but they are cheap on the internet.
D. Ventrimaculatus - A more difficult frog, but not to expensive from what I have heard. Definitely utilize vertical space
D. Auratus - Beginner frog, but more suited for a horizontal tank. Not expensive, and available somewhat locally.

I may add more some other time 8)

I moved everything into the viv today. I ran a ran inside the viv all night, and when I woke up I couldn't smell the silicone at all . I also added some moss from my aquarium. I think it's Java Moss, but I'm not really sure.

I made a little siphon thingy too. It's just two film canisters with holes cut in the bottoms to let me siphon the water out of the bottom.

Finally, I reel like I need to mist to much. I have misted it a lot so far, but everything is staying pretty wet. The sides are wet and a little foggy, but the front is clear. I guess my question is, can I mist too much?

Here are the pics

Brom -

Pothos

Wandering Jew Vine

Crypts

Full Tank Shot

Ghetto Siphon Acceptor

Oh, and the (Java?) Moss

Enjoy

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 08:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
Awesome looking!

When do you plan on getting the frogs?

~Tori

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'll probably get the frogs in a month or two. The first order of business is making sure the tank is established. Then I will start the fruit fly cultures, and finally get the frogs. They will be in quarantine until I send in Fecals for testing. Assuming that they pass, I will add them to the display.

So probably 3ish months until frogs go in. Maybe longer, maybe shorter, it all depends on how the viv matures and when I find frogs.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 11:38 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice job! Any more pics? Can't wait to see it finished.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks. I'll try and get some good pics with my dad's dslr. Hopefully it grows in nicely.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode