Thinking of joining the Riparium crowd, thoughts? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Thinking of joining the Riparium crowd, thoughts?

morning all,

I'm considering converting my 29g into a riparium. I've always loved the look when i've seem them on here, but have some questions before doing it.

As you can see, I took an initial "first step" and bought a Golden Pothos to hang out of my AC30.

You can also see where a few stems of my Ludwigia Repens began growing out of the tank, towards the window light.

Couple of options I think I have,

1) Add a small basket on the window side of the tank

2) build a planter box along the back wall. Not sure if I should rig up a flow-through system and it HOB style, or just a long, thing "basket" inside the tank.

I'm leaning towards option 2, but am very new to the riparium concept. Current lighting is a 24 inch Planted+, as well as a FugeRay-R clip on. Would I need to upgrade the lighting? Or would sunlight from the window cover that?

Here is a shot of the rest of the tank. I've cleaned up the aquascape some, trimmed back the Wisteria, sorted out the moss, and repositioned the tree. The crypt wendtii has also grown up a lot.

thanks!

-120g-
- Praecox Dwarf Rainbowfish, Glowlight Danio, Rummynose Tetra, Leopard Danio, Ember Tetra, Scarlet Badis, Anchor Catfish, Red Cherry Shrimp, Assassin Snail, Neirite Snail
-20G L -
- Celestial Pearl Danio, Dwarf Emerald Rasbora
Tank Journal (120):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 03:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Ripariums are a fun added aspect to aquariums! There's several methods of approach to planting ripariums, from stuffing everything you can into an HOB, to DIY planers, to buying planters and rafts from ripariumsupply.com (aka pt member hydrophyte who has a sale thread up right now btw). If you go DIY look into your materials, make sure the basket/planter it sturdy and can hold the media you use+ plant weight (take into account how big the plant(s) you want will get, some like peace lily can get huge depending on specific species) and that its supported/hung/adhered securely, don't want it falling into the tank and drowning plants or squishing fish. I tried a DIY but used flimsy mesh (didn't think it through first), it bowed/sagged too much so I tossed it and went with planters from hydrophyte, they're very sturdy plastic.

I don't think you'd need to upgrade your lighting but consider being able to raise it a bit. Some house plants don't need much light and can survive fine off indirect light from the window (like pothos and "wandering jew") but some plants need a bit more lighting, and if in the far corner from the window, won't get much and need a little extra from your tank lights. The plants you have seem like they could survive light being raised a bit (ludwigia, blyxa, and your carpet plants appear to be the only ones that will really want "medium light"). I notice one light has a goose neck, how high can it be raised? It might be able to supply the needed extra light for plants not right by the window.

Keep in mind adding riparium plants and planters will create more shade depending on how/if lights are re-arranged, aquatic planted against the back wall might get a bit less light especially if the fixtures are relocated/raised above the tank more. This varies with each setup and layout, it might not be an issue for you, but wanted to mention it.

If you do buy pre-made riparium planters, I'd recommend also grabbing 1 pack of trellis rafts, you can cut the emersed growth of the ludwigia, plant the ends in the planers by the front and let the stems trail out over the rafts and onto the water, giving a sort of low loose carpet vine plant look (if you like that sort of thing). Something like [this] that as it grows you can cut and replant to make denser. This is just a suggestion, letting it drape out over the tank towards the window looks quite nice too.

Btw keep an eye on the pothos roots. I keep some in my HOB too, but have had to cut roots twice to keep them from getting to long and growing into the impeller and clogging it. You can easily tie off the pothos against the tank (suction cup with the simple clip/holder to prop the vine/stem up.. and maybe a rubber band or somethign to tie it on just for good measure) and let its roots hang down into the tank, they will eventually grow into the substrate... But then they will grow all over the tank (under substrate) and will be a mess to remove if you ever want to relocate the plant...
Anyways tldr: keep an eye on root length for pothos.

Have you given any thought to other plants you will want to add to the setup yet? There are plenty of known riparium or pond plants, several house plants can survive this system, and even some garden and a lot of emersed grown aquatic plants .

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
~
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Thank you for the great response. Definitely brand-new to this, reading up and trying to understand all of it.

I appreciate the advice on trimming the Pothos roots, I thought they looked pretty long when I first planted them, so good to know that I can trim them up without ill effects.

I honestly have no idea what kind of plants to look into. I have searched around, some - but it's a lot of information to take in! I would ideally like to find something that flowers, as it would make the fiancee much happier with the setup in the living room, haha!

I will check out the website listed below, I saw his FS thread, so will probably PM him in the next few hours or so. Seems like a good place to start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Ripariums are a fun added aspect to aquariums! There's several methods of approach to planting ripariums, from stuffing everything you can into an HOB, to DIY planers, to buying planters and rafts from ripariumsupply.com (aka pt member hydrophyte who has a sale thread up right now btw). If you go DIY look into your materials, make sure the basket/planter it sturdy and can hold the media you use+ plant weight (take into account how big the plant(s) you want will get, some like peace lily can get huge depending on specific species) and that its supported/hung/adhered securely, don't want it falling into the tank and drowning plants or squishing fish. I tried a DIY but used flimsy mesh (didn't think it through first), it bowed/sagged too much so I tossed it and went with planters from hydrophyte, they're very sturdy plastic.

I don't think you'd need to upgrade your lighting but consider being able to raise it a bit. Some house plants don't need much light and can survive fine off indirect light from the window (like pothos and "wandering jew") but some plants need a bit more lighting, and if in the far corner from the window, won't get much and need a little extra from your tank lights. The plants you have seem like they could survive light being raised a bit (ludwigia, blyxa, and your carpet plants appear to be the only ones that will really want "medium light"). I notice one light has a goose neck, how high can it be raised? It might be able to supply the needed extra light for plants not right by the window.

Keep in mind adding riparium plants and planters will create more shade depending on how/if lights are re-arranged, aquatic planted against the back wall might get a bit less light especially if the fixtures are relocated/raised above the tank more. This varies with each setup and layout, it might not be an issue for you, but wanted to mention it.

If you do buy pre-made riparium planters, I'd recommend also grabbing 1 pack of trellis rafts, you can cut the emersed growth of the ludwigia, plant the ends in the planers by the front and let the stems trail out over the rafts and onto the water, giving a sort of low loose carpet vine plant look (if you like that sort of thing). Something like [this] that as it grows you can cut and replant to make denser. This is just a suggestion, letting it drape out over the tank towards the window looks quite nice too.

Btw keep an eye on the pothos roots. I keep some in my HOB too, but have had to cut roots twice to keep them from getting to long and growing into the impeller and clogging it. You can easily tie off the pothos against the tank (suction cup with the simple clip/holder to prop the vine/stem up.. and maybe a rubber band or somethign to tie it on just for good measure) and let its roots hang down into the tank, they will eventually grow into the substrate... But then they will grow all over the tank (under substrate) and will be a mess to remove if you ever want to relocate the plant...
Anyways tldr: keep an eye on root length for pothos.

Have you given any thought to other plants you will want to add to the setup yet? There are plenty of known riparium or pond plants, several house plants can survive this system, and even some garden and a lot of emersed grown aquatic plants .

-120g-
- Praecox Dwarf Rainbowfish, Glowlight Danio, Rummynose Tetra, Leopard Danio, Ember Tetra, Scarlet Badis, Anchor Catfish, Red Cherry Shrimp, Assassin Snail, Neirite Snail
-20G L -
- Celestial Pearl Danio, Dwarf Emerald Rasbora
Tank Journal (120):

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 04:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
hydrophyte is very knowledgeable and has done a lot of great setup! You can find a lot on different forums, google, and youtube. I can't offer much advice on flowering plants... I know peace lilys do, but I have a pollen allergy so I've tried to steer clear of flowering additions.
Note that plants generally like 'wamer' light to bloom (3500k range) but leaf/growth lights prefered around 6500k. I learned about this when setting up aquaponics and blooming and "fruiting" plants need the same spectrum.. but that's a different aspect to aquariums..
It may not apply to all flowering plant, but its something to look into/ask (lighting needs).
I don't have experiences with your lights to know if its a true "full spectrum light" (Sat planted+ should be adjustable to this via remote.. dunno about FugeRay) which should cover this need, or just the 'blue/cool/6500k about range' lights for simple plant growth. Planting flowering varieties by the window will help get them the needed spectrum of light to bloom too.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode