The 30 cube riparium project - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
The 30 cube riparium project

A bit of background, I've had a low tech shrimp and micro fish tank running for years now, and I'm bored to tears with it at this point. I'm sure it would have been great for a desk top tank, but when you tuck away these tiny critters into the corner of a large living room, nobody cares that they exist. I guess there is something to be said for scale!

So anyhow, I had put some bolbitus in the tank, awesome plant. The problem with bolbitus though, is the tank eventually became a bolbitus+some other plants struggling for some light or flow tank. So, it had to go.

In order to rid myself of the bolbeastus, I had to tear apart my carefully laid out hardscape (which has been completely obscured from view for at least two years), and scrape the infernal fern out of every crevice on each rock and chunk of wood.

Finished with the removal, I was left with this:
Take note Amano, THAT is a nature 'scape

So that is what currently resides in my living room, and I really want to go a different direction with the tank, something I've never done before. So, macro algae and seahorses! Oh wait, how about something I can do on a budget of +/-0? Riparium it is then

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

First step, remove fauna. The remaining microrasboras should be alright in my high tech 40, and the shrimp are going to a new owner.

Next step, I try a bit different of an approach to planters.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 10:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Look forward to seeing this progress! Where did you get your planters? Will you use suction cups or create a self within the tank (such as a thin(width) but long sheet of glass silicones on) to set these on?

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The planters are from a pond store, and fit my criteria of extremely inexpensive. Luckily, the row of 4 fits across my tank perfectly, and they zip tie together really easily. Plan A is to place them on a rock wall at the proper height. If that doesn't work well, I can whip up some sort of rack or shelf. I've never met a suction cup that functioned beyond a year or two, so I avoid them like the plague.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 02:56 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I used shower caddies as my planters. I secured them using fishing line and binder clips attached to the back edge of the rim. It was easy and has held up over the years. but my tank is open top.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 02:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

My ehiem jagar heaters with suction cups have lasted well, but they're only a little over a year old. I like the idea of a glass shelf or a 'bench' of glass (3 pieces of glass glues together but can be removed from tank) for a stable set up and minimal visual distraction, but that's just my opinion

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex009 View Post
I used shower caddies as my planters. I secured them using fishing line and binder clips attached to the back edge of the rim. It was easy and has held up over the years. but my tank is open top.
Cool idea. I'm going to file that one away for future use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
My ehiem jagar heaters with suction cups have lasted well, but they're only a little over a year old. I like the idea of a glass shelf or a 'bench' of glass (3 pieces of glass glues together but can be removed from tank) for a stable set up and minimal visual distraction, but that's just my opinion
If there is no down side to a suction cup failure, I don't actually mind using them. But in this situation, I would prefer to never have my planters dropped into the water. Not that it would be the end of the world, but if I can avoid a future annoyance, why not?

I do really like your glass bench idea, that will be my plan b in car the rock wall doesn't turn out well(I already have a pile of rocks in the closet). Acrylic might work better than glass though.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've never used acrylic so I can't say. What type of rocks do you have? Have you tested if they effect ph or gh if unsure of type?
Be sure to keep us updated with photos and such as your progress!

~
~
~
~
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I've never used acrylic so I can't say. What type of rocks do you have? Have you tested if they effect ph or gh if unsure of type?
Be sure to keep us updated with photos and such as your progress!
The rocks I use are basalt and other lava rocks, and have proven to be pH neutral. However, after playing around with the rock wall, it wasn't producing quite the results I was hoping for. I'm thinking for my next attempt, I'm going to try to KISS and use ABS pipe as risers.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Update: I think I really nailed that "rescape in progress" look.
What do you think

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

On the positive side, a piece of wood I put some anubias on oh so long ago has secretly turned into an awesome center price for the water section of the riparium.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 07:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
On the positive side, a piece of wood I put some anubias on oh so long ago has secretly turned into an awesome center price for the water section of the riparium.
Wood,, what wood? *completely covered in roots* btw nice flower, got good phosphate levels in its tank ^^
Whenever I re-scape and get a lot of sediment kicked up and making the water all murky i end up doing a 120%+ water change to reduce it... so much snail poo...

~
~
~
~
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

And... the tank is live ABS risers were put under the planters, a custom spraybar was fabricated, and the plants have been planted!

Filter hidden behind hardscape, and custom spraybar

Full tank shot with excessive reflections

And the new inhabitant

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Very lovely betta boy, have you named him yet? I had a simular one (teal/blue-green hue with white at the outer edged of fins) that passed recently, he was a petco save.. is yours a lfs fish-in-a-cup save, or direct buy from a breeder?
Look forward to seeing what plants you use in the riparium setup. The way you have the spray-bar setup is very reminiscent of aquaponic setups with grow beds, though those typically use gravel or hydroton (clay media) and not foam.

~
~
~
~
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Very lovely betta boy, have you named him yet? I had a simular one (teal/blue-green hue with white at the outer edged of fins) that passed recently, he was a petco save.. is yours a lfs fish-in-a-cup save, or direct buy from a breeder?
Look forward to seeing what plants you use in the riparium setup. The way you have the spray-bar setup is very reminiscent of aquaponic setups with grow beds, though those typically use gravel or hydroton (clay media) and not foam.
The LFS had named him Freedom, so I will go with that until my 3 year old decides otherwise. I'm not sure where my LFS gets their bettas, but they are an awesome store, and are happy to spend time with their customers educating them on proper care, as well as being huge planted tank advocates.

The plants in the emersed section are java fern and an assortment of crypts. There are quite a few plants back there, but being grown sub
mersed, they all flopped over. I'm really looking forward to seeing them transition. I also plan on adding hc emersed, unfortunately, the LFS was all sold out. I'm not really sure if I should add anything else, suggestions are appreciated. I do want to try some mini pellia on the wood as well.

The planters are actually full of hydroton, with an aquasoil cap. The only place I am using foam is as a prefilter for the maxijet powering the spraybar.

So far the tank is coming out just as I imagined it, which is a first. Now to repair the light fixture I want to use, and it is good to go

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode