What are some Pros/Cons automated humidity? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sometimes my days are pretty busy and there's no way I would ever be able to manualy mist my tank throughout the day. Does anyone make a completely automated system for heat, humidity(fans and mist/fogger), and lights? Or does everyone somehow make thier own?

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Well I could only find a setup that looked like it would do the job. Is this what I need or is it overkill?

http://www.herpsupplies.com/cgi-bin/...D=040407131774

Ryan
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 07:06 AM
Planted Member

I got an email from the owner of the site I posted earlier, and he recommended the HT-HH-1R on this page: http://tinyurl.com/yskvy

Two outlets for heat and two for humidity. This is probably going to be the route for me, and I'll just use a timer for the lights. What do you guys think?

Is it better to use a timer or level sensor for heat and humidity control?

Ryan

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 08:10 PM

Uh oh, better not say anything bout ultrasonic foggers :lol:
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 06:31 PM

Hey now...

I had to cut back the foggers because it (Aided) in killing off half my plants and creatures. (The novelty has worn off)

For three months I used it for 1 hour at sunrise/sunset with conditioned water and with natural spring water (Not from a bottle, from an actual spring)

The conditioned tap water had horrible effects... rotted most of my plants, added a nasty mildew/bathroom smell and forced all my frogs to high ground while the tank was being fogged. (They also shed every three days when I used the fogger, I thought that was normal until I stopped. Now they shed once every few weeks.)

The spring water caused black surface alge and accelerated a bacterial growth that made my tank sulferize. (Super fast decompositon aided by an outbreak of microorganisms, turned my nice terrarium into a bog swamp. (Killed five rough skinned newts (Spoon nose) and killed two california rough skinned newts, accelerated mouthrot.)

Not a pritty sight!

Also, I ended up getting sick due to the excess "Stuff" in the air... like a mini pnemonia... Nasty flemming, hacking cough, shortness of breath, and a cold clammy feeling. (Though my room humidity stayed constant 50H, my tank was a steady 80H)

Now, my room is still 50H and my tank stays 80H without the fogger... I saw no added bennifit of using this again, and it DIDN'T raise the humidity, only the moisture level. (The drops condense too fast to actually add humidity (Possibly in a closed system or a bare tank). If you see any humidity it is because you had no moisture level in your tank at all, and now you added moisture.)

I had to scrap my soil, scrap most of my decorations, scrapped my stones... Scrubbed my tank with WIPE-OUT 1 to kill any bacteria and fungus, and then reconstructed my tank.

(Once again, my final verdict... Foggers are a novelty, and not worth the effort. They do more harm than good, but make a neat display if you want to add cool visual effects, once in a while, when guests come over.)

(There are reasons that I am opinionated, because I use this stuff (as directed and as not directed), then determine my opinion of the products or setups. Feel free to disagree.)

The best moisture additive is still live sphagnum moss... Yes, you can find it locally on almost any ground... or purchase it from plant stores. Dead sphagnum = dead animals... They breed bacteria and fungus and MUST be changed weekly, they also have the potential to grow a bacteria that is lethal to humans, unless boiled. (Sponges are similar, but not lethal to humans.)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 06:45 PM

I was looking at that control device also, and others... (Not good for terrarium style setups.

The best regulation is to get a full cover, and make an adjustable slot hole that can be opened and closed, with a screen cover over the hole. Preferrably one in back and one in front. Once you find the right hole width to regulate the correct desired H then you are all set. I use a screw to hold the lids on my terrarium open about 1/8 of an inch on the front, and the back has a similar gap.

I have had no condensation, no moldy smells, no escapes, and great circulation. Cool air comes in the front of my tank, and warm air rises out the back, natural convection. My plants and animals love it.

Ignore my profile... I now have...
2 rough skinned newts (Classic red stripes, yellow spots)
4 rough skinned (Spoon nose) newts
4 california newts (Fire belly rough skinned)
1 fire belly newt (Chinese)
2 fire belly toads (Chinese)
1 grey tiger salamander
2 giant millipedes (black)
In my 55 gallon tank, with aproximately 75 gallons worth of floor space. (Lots of elevations and caves and layers.)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode