Newbie questions :) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hey, what's up everyone? The more I read, the more questions I have. So I hope some of you can help.

What is a good size to start out with? I'm thinking about 40-50 gal.

Are there any good books on terrarium/paludarlium construction or maintenance?

Can terrarium tanks hold at least an 1" of water or would I have to reinforce it with some aquatic sealant?

There will probably be more to come. Thanks.

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 12:48 PM

Welcome, to start. now the bigger the tank the better. its best to start out with the largest tank you can afford and that you have the space for. I would atleast get a 55 gal. I know in my neck of the woods you can get a 55 gal, plus filter and lights for around 60 dollors. we've got some real great local shops out my way, and in detroit.

as for the rest of your questions I think I should let someone else finish them.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 02:04 PM

Well, I agree that the tank is "better if bigger" and I wanted to recommend these sites, they have some great info on vivariums/paludariums:
badmanstropicalfish.com
blackjungle.com
And welcome!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 03:50 PM

wow Ann Arbor MI,

I was from U of M, just left there last summer
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 05:13 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to kluivertfan2
GO BLUE

I go to Western Michigan, but will always support the wolverines.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 03:00 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symian
Can terrarium tanks hold at least an 1" of water or would I have to reinforce it with some aquatic sealant?
I am not sure if know what you mean. Most terrariums are aquarium tanks used to keep land monsters. There are also terrariums specifically designed for terrestrial (arboreal and else) with glass doors on the sides or rear. Those obviously won't hold much water, just as the bottom case allows. As long as they are sealed with silicone they won't leak. As for paludariums, they are half full aquariums, with emersed land, etc. The ones specifically designed for that prupose, like the ones AZOO makes, surely won't leak.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilisk
I am not sure if know what you mean. Most terrariums are aquarium tanks used to keep land monsters. There are also terrariums specifically designed for terrestrial (arboreal and else) with glass doors on the sides or rear. Those obviously won't hold much water, just as the bottom case allows. As long as they are sealed with silicone they won't leak. As for paludariums, they are half full aquariums, with emersed land, etc. The ones specifically designed for that prupose, like the ones AZOO makes, surely won't leak.
Some places that sell "terrariums" don't seal them as well as aquariums or don't seal them at all for that matter. Which was the basis for my question. But I'm going to go ahead and buy an acrylic unassembled terrarium and seal and bond it with cement. I'm already getting excited.

Ryan
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 02:01 PM

thanks for the go blue posts, Ive been in ann arbor for about 6 years now and am looking to move out west, Im thinking San fran.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 05:52 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanspectrum
I know in my neck of the woods you can get a 55 gal, plus filter and lights for around 60 dollors. we've got some real great local shops out my way, and in detroit.
geez, 60 bucks? thats awesome.. maybe i'll make a trip to michigan to get a tank.. heh..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode