What kind of plants for top? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
What kind of plants for top?

What kind of plants can I use for 10g above water? Do any house plants work?

I'm thinking of using a 10g that gets sunlight all day.

The only plants on hand are spider, tons of them, draconia, green hedge, and a "comfort" plant (some type of lily)

I have tons of aquatic plants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Pothos, and there are a few variety, work really well for out of the tank!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 03:53 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pothos, arrowhead vine, peace lily, diffenbachia, chinese evergreen, spider plant are all commonly found plants that can do well with their roots in the water.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 04:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
While a lot of those mentioned above may do well in water, they may not do well in direct sunlight. Generally, pothos, dracaena, peace lilies, syngonium are low light plants that do not like much direct sunlight. You spider plant will love the sun. I would avoid dieffenbachias as well because they are poisonous. They're sometimes called "dumb cane" because of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raphides

You may check out small marginal pond plants at a local garden center. These will love having wet roots and much direct sun.

Some others I can think of that may suite your need: varieties of lysimachia, lindernia grandifolia, alteranthera varieties, fiber optic grass or corkscrew grass (juncus spiralis), wondering jews (tradescantia family).

There's plenty more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I picked up several house plants at a nursery(garden center) center that are doing great under 3x 13 watt cfl bulbs (6500k) in reflectors that are 12" or less above the plants.
Pothos varigated - monster vine, mostly green with some lighter splothces
Fittonia albivenis - green with vibrant white veins
Tradescantia zebrine (aka "wonder jew") - purple with thick banded striped

4/16 (originally most of the pothos I bought was in a planter, but moved it into riparium)

6/12

The tradescantia actually grows faster than the pothos and needs trimmed ever month to keep it form getting to heavy and sinking into the water. Trimmings just get slapped back into HOB or riparium planters, grow roots out the cut end, and keep on growing.
Pothos will get monster roots over time but you can trim them or stuffed them down into the substrate when they get long enough.
The Fittonia albivenis I really live, though its the slowest growing of the three but its low and dense so good for hiding the media the planters are planted in.
I also tried maidenhair fern but it didn't like the setup.

Btw non of these like having wet leaves (submerged) so keep the leaves above the waterline if you try them.

I actually just re-did the riparium and got some more riparium specific plants and more planters, but still have all the original house plants (except the fern)

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Thank you. Looks good!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 12:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
What's the plant growing out the filter?

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatfish View Post
What's the plant growing out the filter?
first photo, plant lsit is above it + Maiden hair fern (large 'bushy' light green thing on left), second one is same stuff minus the maiden hair fern just grown more. Fern did not take transplanting well.. i think i was too rough on its roots when rinsing soil out.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode