safe?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
i was at pets mart yesterday and i saw this root mongrove like decoration that would look great in a discus biotope but it was in the reptile area and had this message attached to it...

"If you love the look of natural driftwood in your terrarium, you'll want to try these Driftwood Ornaments. They're molded from real driftwood pieces for a realistic look and feel. But they're crafted of poly-resin with an anti-microbial finish for easier cleaning and longer life. (not recommended for aquariums)"

is this safe or not? the reason i ask is because i was told that the reason they put that not recommended for aquarium message on there is that they have a contract not to compete with the makers of the aquarium decorations..

i was hoping to use it in the water portion of my vivarium ...thanx in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 05:32 PM

I would say no... The "anti-microbial finish" would probably be a problem.

^iMp^
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 10:17 PM

The anti-microbal finish is usually a strong toxin that would slowly seep out when moist things like animal waste build up on it. Submerging this in water would toxify the water with this chemical in the plastic, and will also make it brittle. This is the same toxin thing that bathroom paints are doped with to reduce mold and mildew. Never use that object with Newts, Frogs, in Water, or where an animal may climb it while wet.

They have achieved thier ultimate goal, that fake plastic log will look like a fake plastic log for many years to come... That was an unneeded addition to the creation of that object, plastics and epoxy's are already resistant to microbes, due to the fact that they don't absorb water, have no pores, and are not a source of microbe food. If fecal matter falls on the object, anti-microbe or not, there is going to be microbes present, the ones in the fecal matter. It does make a great paranoia "Peace of mind" sales tactic... but not all microbes are bad, and they end up killing the good microbes that would normally stop you from getting salmonilla...

Sorry, I am rambling...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode