Step inside and lets discuss some paladarium possibilities - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to kluivertfan2
Hello all. Im thinking of making a paladarium featuring frogs, fish (especially rainbows), and maybe some geckos or something. I have no experience with them and could find very little in the way of guidance on the internet. except this site.
Can anybody give me some tips on what to get as far as animals?
What kind of a layout to use?
What kind of plants to use?
how filled it should be with water.
It will in a 50 gallon tank.
If there is any info im forgetting to give you let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 02:59 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Geckoes are not really good for paludariums. They do need humid enclosures, but not watery ones. Some could eat your fish, yet it is rare. For a paludarium I would instead get anoles, for their small size. They give you less trouble with land areas as they can pose on some plants without breaking them or falling down.

As for the water/land thing, for frogs and newts I find much better to use a large piece of bogwood rather than glass/acrylic dividers, or false bottoms. Do just a half full planted aquarium with large wood pieces coming out of water, enough to give room to bask, and tall enough to be able to dry.

For plants, with adequate light, about any you like. Swords do very good emersed, and give a dense vegetation marshy look to the surface. Nymphaeas and other lilly-like leaved plants look and do fine too. Avoid hornwort, cabombas and those which lose a lot of leaves and make water a mess, frogs are less gentle with plants than fish. However, the substrate choice will depend greatly on the kind and size of frogs you want to have. A layered one will be more susceptible to mess up if digged or disturbed too much. Bear that in mind.

Filtration will depend on how many plants and animals you have. Inside power filters are the most used in this kind of setups, and they can be hidden fairly easily.

Other animals? Well, newts and frogs are already regarded. I guess the usual critter buffette: shrimps, snails, clams. Even a small creek snake could be put in. With the bogwood layout I suggested, archer fishes would look great, however they do better in brackish water.

Look around, read much, and look at as mcuh pictures as you can to find out what you want.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 04:00 AM

Wow, i think basilisk basically sumed it all up. LOL
that driftwood idea sounds like my setup !
Go here to see pix
https://www.plantedtank.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6259

I use a canister filter btw, keeps my water good n clean, and is easier to clean.

Mine has no large critters xcept the snails, so well...no worries about the substrate and the plants being dug up.

As basilisk said, for the land thing, i do prefer driftwood as compared to acryllic glued in, looks tons more natural, you can even use rock to build up land around water. Make sure you spend enough time buying or collecting the right pieces for the tank, dont just buy and try to fit everything in.

Plan it out properly. this is the most important task you need to do first, and remember to plan for all pumps and tubing and what not, otherwise your going to do a lot of shifting

For ideas take a look at this site.
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.or...y=3&vol=-1
Its the AGA contest pictures.

Read these forums for more info on land/water divisions. there is a post here by me about some info on the land divisions,

https://www.plantedtank.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6820

but there is more info in these forums somewhere, just search hard

Have fun n Good luck

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 02:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

vodox-i loved the first link. some day i want to grow up and have a tank(s) just like that!
klui.-i'd like to add to make certain to double check the animals that you get from a "go together" perspective. i have fire bellied toads and while they are social with each other, they can't really live with other creatures.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 02:51 AM

I suggest you determine what type of critter(s) you want and build an appropriate environment for them. Newts and frogs (but not both!) are usual choices. Go to kingsnake.com or caudata.org for more information on these amphibians.

You must consider: feeding requirements, lighting/basking requirements, water depth requirements (some frogs dislike deeper water, such as firebelly toads), temperature requirements (most newts require temps below 70 F year-round), and compatability (most newts and some frogs are toxic and frogs eat or try to eat just about anything that moves). Heck, even water MOVEMENT is an issue...is the critter a stream-dweller or pond-dweller? With amphibians, stress is a big issue...make the right environment and you'll have great success.

If you want an arboreal species mixed in, I don't advise it...but its doable in a large enough tank. Just make sure the species can swim--most can't and will drown easily if they fall in.

If you want fish, be prepared to lose some or be prepared to have stressed-out aquatic newts/frogs if the fish are too nippy. Also, beware the small, bottom-dwelling, seemingly-timid fish! They often have barbs or other defensive mechanisms. Many a newt has died because an otto got lodged in its throat.

In short, DO YOUR RESEARCH...its the only way to true success with paludarium building.

^iMp^
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

If i use brackish water, would it effect the amphibians at all? IE do they need to be in freshwater?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

also why do newts and frogs not go together?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 08:52 PM

AFAIK, amphibians would not fair well at all in brackish water...though I suppose it depends on the salt content and the species. For this, I'd go to an amphibian forum for appropriate answers... (kingsnake.com comes to mind). My guess would be that most amphibians would suffer and die in brackish water.

As for housing toads and newts together, read this:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/M...isasters.shtml

Also, check out the following link for information concerning newts:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/faq/faq.shtml

Again, do your frickin' research. Amphibians (particularly newts) are fragile creatures...if you don't know their needs, I guarantee you'll just end up causing the suffering and eventual death of your "pets". You can't possibly come up with all the questions nor can I come up with all the answers...go to some websites and learn all about newts/frogs before you purchase anything.

^iMp^
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Doing the research is why im here. I wont even be getting to it before august or so, so im trying to figure out exactly what i want to do before i do it. A lot of times i dont know a specific place to go to to find information so I am asking here, and hoping you guys can guide me to places with good info..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode