How humid for air plants? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
How humid for air plants?

How humid do air plants like their surroundings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 05:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
my house is super dry and i spritz them when i remember (about once a month) and they aren't dead after 2 years of this. haha poor things. i forget i have them. i think they like it slightly more than that

---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--
---
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 09:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I imagine it depends on the specific type. Some types of air plants come from pretty arid climates, and others from really humid tropical rainforests...

If you can identify the specific species (or even genera), that might help as to finding out more specific needs and such.

I've heard before that ones from humid areas tend to have smooth, glossy type leaves, and ones from more arid areas fuzzier type leaves, for what thats worth. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions, but it might help if you can't find anything better...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
they where "assorted airplants"" they seem more tropical . smother leafs and bright colors
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You might have some luck if you spend time googling some pictures of Tillandsia, a genus of plants that are often called 'air plants'. There are smooth, green, fuzzy, grey and colors in between, especially if they are getting ready to bloom.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ought to check out this thread: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=270722

W/ my tillandsia in the past, I've just dunked them for an hour or two, sometimes overnight once a week, then put em back in their homes. They've done well for me like that, but I always lose them when I forget to do this for too long. Always

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 04:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
Are you keeping your Tillandsia indoors or outdoors? Humidity concerns usually come into play if your plant/plants stay damp or wet for long periods of time. Important for Tillandsia to dry out... if the plant is wet and humidity is constantly high, they really don't have a chance to thoroughly dry. This will usually compromise the Tillandsia's health (prone to rot and other disease issues). Like others have mentioned above, certain species tolerate higher humidity better than others.

If growing indoors, I have found humidity to be on the bottom of my 'concerns' list, regardless of species. Top of the list is: good lighting, air circulation, and good watering routines. Many people that grow Tillandsia indoors often have problems ~ their plants 'exist' but never really grow or prosper to their full potential (slow, little to no growth, and no flowering or reproduction). Most of those problems stem from not providing enough light, or water, and/or a combination of both.

This is a photo of a few Tilles mounted on my bedroom wall, far away from a window. Humidity in the room fluctuates all year round ~ from very dry to very humid (especially during thunderstorms and hurricane seasons). The plants are provided with a steady duration of light and watered on a regular schedule, along with having ample air circulation.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 11:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM
So you can't keep them in the bathroom and let the shower water them?

My roommate says I'll die by giant turtle.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
Give 'em' what they need and any room will do

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode