new vivarium (amphibian mixing) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
new vivarium (amphibian mixing)

Are there any small salamanders or newts that 1. are not toxic, 2. never get very big(no bigger than 3-5 inches, 3. can survive in an average temperature of 75 degrees f, and 4. and least important are aquatic or semi aquatic so not to dig to much under the land (which would have plants)?

Another question, what is a good ph for most amphibians? I know different amphibians require similar settings to their original habitat, but I have a really hard time finding information on individual or group frog or salamander water conditions besides the fact that it should be clean would 8.0 be harmfull?

If I were to use Kent Black Water Extract in the water of my vivarium and the misting water would that be good for plants and animals? mostly amphibians.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

anyone?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 07:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
u forgot to say the magic word...

10g planted pea puffer tank (Ceviche)
10g planted freshwater invert tank
map turtle (Tamago and Wasabi) (moved to a small pond)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 04:30 PM

Well to my knowlege, pretty much no salamander is going to be out and about, especially during daylight hours, and the common newts are going to be Cynops orientalis and Cynops pyrrhogaster, both of which are toxic. I think you're looking into the wrong animals if you want something you're going to see on a regular basis.

-Pat
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Algae Grower

I know this post is a fwe months old, but i'm gonna respond anyways... As far as newt species, i'm not real sure as i have little experience with them... but for the toxicity... even the ones that are toxic are very mild and shouldn't harm most other inhabitants, or you... the PH of 8 is a little high, but probably wouldn't hurt anything... from what i hear, 7 in just about ideal. Black water extract would be fine. Many people in the poison dart frog hobby use it. and if you use coco fiber as the "dirt" then after awhile the pH will go down from drainage, and will get a little darker, like using black water extract... I've always been a fan of tiger salamanders if you can still find one.

1 10 gal low tech planted tank. 1- 10 gal lowtech w/ diy co2. 55 gal lowtech planted tank. 20 gallon reef tank. 55 gallon paludarium for dart frogs. large exo-terra vivarium for madagascar giant day gecko. working on getting 65 gal brackish tank soon

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode