Got CORN? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Snakes that is..

I am looking into building a viv for my corn snake..
I was thinking a 30 or 40 breeder, as they can get 6 feet but typical max out around 5' in captivity, but bigger is better right?

Mine is still a baby maybe 4 months old and is in a 10g at the moment. From what I can gather he is a amelanstic albino. And he looks like this:

I was hoping to do a few plants and maybe a small water portion as they do need water, but no fish or other critters as he will eat anything he can get his teeth into.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 10:32 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would suggest a taller tank, with a vine/branchy setup. Although not normally a tree climber, in captivity, if the heat is higher, giving greater temprature seporation, they will easily learn to climb. This will also reduce medical issues associated with resting on soiled tank floors. In the end, you might concider a full wood cage with a plexiglass, or glass door in front. Line the walls with thick black plastic, caulked in place, and use a cement mixing tub as the bottom. (Removable and replaceable). The wooden structure will retain heat better, and the plastic walls will allow you to spray the cage clean. The glass door will allow you a more desirable access to the snake cage.

You can even go so far as to buy a prefab bathroom sink counter, or a cheap entertainment center for about $30 - $50, Entertainment centers already have glass doors. Just put a scrap piece of wood on the back, attach your plastic liner to it, cut a hole for the light, and another hole for the bottom tray. My iguana is getting a similar setup, but with a cheap standing shower stall as the base and walls. (It won't look like a shower when I get done with it!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode