Moss Milkshake? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Moss Milkshake?

does it work??? I am in the process of ordering Sphagnum moss (the happy grower so I'v been told) what kinda moss is best for milkshake... and really buttermilk?? Im asuming its safe? I have done lots of research (general) then I find alot of hints and fun tips... i just dont know if the hints work or not.... any tips on moss?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
IMO I wouldn't try try mixing the moss with anything organic if it's going to go in a terrarium/vivarium/paludarium- and especially not an aquarium.

If it were me and I was wanting to apply some moss to a rock or driftwood I would use superglue.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/98%)
Yes according to bill nye the science guy.

He did it on a show of his many years ago and it works. but maybe not in fish tanks. lol

I'm not a doctor in real life but I play one on this forum

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I've seen some beautiful results outdoors using the "milkshake" method of seeding, but I don't remember the actual recipe used and all the details.

Paul James, the somewhat kooky Gardening by the Yard guy from HGTV, had an episode with the recipe, how-tos and examples of its results that you may be able to find online.

I tend to agree with the others that this idea may be somewhat sketchy for use in an enclosed system within your home, but maybe you could seed some items outdoors and let them grow out before placing them in the vivarium/terrarium.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 09:08 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
Yes buttermilk works. Plain Yogurt Works better, the method i seen was to Put a big container of Plain Yogurt in a blender(not your wifes TRUST ME BAD IDEA!) add your moss starter blend Slowly add buttermilk until its a runny paste. Take the pieces you Want to put it on OUTSIDE(Again Trust me you dont want that smell in the house) Coat down the pieces you want moss covered and place it in a spot that gets Partial sun once the moss has grown and firmly attached bring in and assemble in your tank(you may want to Mist the moss if your in a dryer climate)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 05:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I forget the ratio, but you can use beer, polyacrylamide co-polymer, and moss. The polyacrylamide is the powdered stuff that absorbs a lot of water and turns into gel. You can buy it at garden supply stores (brand name Hortisorb) or hobby lobby carries it for keeping flowers in vases. You just want to make a slurry consistency.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode