can these three things be put together? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
can these three things be put together?

I now have a Betta (Crowntail)
I am in the process of getting a Harliquin Crested Gecko
and I am also planning on getting poison darts.... I was wondering if anyone has any info or recomendations on these three animals....
So far the Betta is doing great.... and Im not really concerned about putting gecko in the tank..... but Im not sure about gecko with frogs....
Oh yea... it is a 40 breeder tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
The fish should be fine if given enough water. It probalby isn't a good idea to mix the frogs with geckos. Here is a great dart frog FAQ.
http://saurian.net/htm05/froginfo_da...KindsofAnimals
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
i dunno if the gecko would be 'smart' enough not to eat the frogs...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 11:30 PM

Nor would it be a good idea to mix big crickets with little frogs
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Im not planning on putting crickets in my tank..... I was going to feed the gecko a mainly fruit diet 2-3 times per week alternating meal worms, pheonex worms (dusted), and posibly taking him out of tank to feed him crickets in a smaller tank.... I really dont think they need to have crickets..... T-rex also came out with a really good vitamine supliment to put into baby food/squashed fruit to add protien to it.... (if anyone has any experience with this product pros or cons I would love to hear it since I have yet to actually use it The frogs would be eating springtails and fruitflies..
Betta as of now is eating dried wormies....(betta food), and some betta pellets (not a huge fan of pellets) but when I get the frogs and things Im hoping enough fruit flies will find their way into water for betta so I will not have to feed him dried food...... I am also hoping the theory of if its not hungrey it wont hunt applies to crested geckos...(keep him fed) I am going with crested gecko because they are not as aggresive as some other geckos.... they are actually pritty pasive, not very territorial and where the 3 species are not eating the same food they will not become aggresive because of food.... once again Im hoping that will wrok.... they will be sharing the same tank but not the same living space.... I just have to choose my frogs more carefully any suggestions about that? sorry to just ramble on and on. .... thanks for reading and responding
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 05:06 PM

A 40 breeder isn't a very tall tank, and even your more terrestrial frogs tend to venture up into the background, so they will most likely be stepping on eachothers toes.

-Pat
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

I suppose thats a good point.... I guess I dont really know that much about the frogs personalities... is their a particular type that really only stays on the ground floor??
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 02:35 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
your questions regarding the dart frogs can easily be answered by searching through dendroboard.com's beginners forum. You will also find plenty of posts discussing mixed species vivariums....with many experienced and advanced owners strongly opposing the practice. I would consider myself still a newb in the dart frog hobby but after reading through many "can i mix species" posts, im convinced its a bad idea as well. Its a cool idea but ultimately very difficult even for experts to manage a system in which all species are kept at optimal conditions without stressing each other. For example, with your crested geckos, how are they going to handle the high humidity (80-90%) needs of the dart frogs? My advice...ax the paludarium/ mixed species idea and go with a well designed vivarium with a water feature and a small group of leucs or auratus darts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode