Slime!? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Slime!?

I just built my first Terrarium/Vivarium. It is a 40 breeder- pond in the front corner w/ pump.... pump curculates to piece of cured wood that flows (more like dribbles, not a great pump ) onto another peice of wood that is the stream, back into the pond. The problem is that on the "waterfall" their is a slime coating.... not on the whole piece of wood just in kinda a rounded spot. the water doesnt collect their but it does flow over it. its not green so I have ruled out the fact that it is algea. it is clear (brownish red on paper towel) my questions are
What is this slime?
should I and if so how do I get rid of it?
Is it harmful to Betta, Crested gecko, or poison darts????
I have already battled the mold problem I had by adding more ventalation to tank.... before I add anymore plants I just wanted to make sure slime want harmful... or if it the natural occurence like the mold....
thank you for reading.... any helpful hints about slime or anything would be greatly appriciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
I figure it's probably the same sort of stuff I had on my driftwood when I first setup the aquarium. My Otos ate it, I think, but for the most part it also seemed to just go away on its own. I probably wouldn't worry about it, just another aspect of nature has popped up, right? I don't have a vivarium, but just trying to help.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 10:39 PM

The slime (bacteria) usually occurs when you have lots of dissolved organics and organic waste in your water. Nothing will eat it, usually you just need water changes and manual removal.

-Pat

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

What kind of water should I be using to fill the water eliment??
I have been using tap water.... I have read several different things..... Distilled, Rain, Bottled, Bottled from Pet store (like the betta water) bottled water could become rather expensive...with water changes and all that.
I would be willing to do it in the biggining if I have to but.... would a britta type filter be ok to filter out tap water...
thanks for responding by the way

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode