Help me get started - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Help me get started

I recently took down a 10g tank that was giving me nothing but head aches. After many lost fish, disease ect I've decided that this tank needs to be something besides a fish tank. I've already got 3 planted tanks, so the thought of a 4th non fish tank sounds good right now.

This past weekend I put together this

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=593978

I had a spark of an idea, tell me if this is do-able or not

Basically, I want to take this 10g tank, and put a bunch of the plants like the ones from the link above, with just some miracle grow potting soil, manzanita driftwood and rocks. I will use my finnex slim r for lighting. No filtration, no water falls ect.

This tank will sit directly below my 55g, my thinking is to drop an air line hose down into this, to "drip" water into the soil. Reducing the need to water, as I will probably forget from time to time. I've picked out a mix of med and low light exotics. Will this work? I have a design in my head, and I think it will look good. After looking at pages in this section, I see a lot of water being used. That's not the direction I want to go. Think, vase planted using a tank lol.

Thoughts? Things to think about? Issues I might run into? It will get some natural indirect sunlight, but not a lot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 02:36 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)
Sounds doable. I would suggest using a layer of some inert substance under the dirt, maybe an inch or so of gravel, then put the dirt on top. This will help with drainage. You might also consider covering all or part of the tank to help keep in moisture.

As with fishkeeping, just try a lot of things to see what works. I've got a 36 gallon setup with a couple of green tree frogs. I placed an inch or so of gravel on the bottom, maybe another inch of orchid bark, a few inches of potting soil, then I capped it with moss from my back yard. I didn't bother with a false floor or anything. I do keep a fairly large dish of water in my setup, it is buried in the substrate (imagine an in-ground swimming pool). I keep some Hygroryza aristata (Asian water grass) in it mainly so that crickets don't drown. So don't discount a water feature, it needn't be anything fancy. But true, in a 10 gallon you may do better without to save space.

Also, consider leaving the plants in their pots and just placing them level with the dirt that you keep in the tank. That way, you can remove a plant easily if it isn't doing well, it grows too large for the enclosure, or you simply decide that you don't like it. It's far easier to lift out a single pot than try and separate a rooted plant from its habitat.

Hope this helps!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Huge help, thank you

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode