Vivarium setup coming soon. (maybe) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via AIM to deleted_user_16
Post Vivarium setup coming soon. (maybe)

Im a teenager lacking funds that might set up a vivarium........What creatures (frogs preferably could fit in a 20-29 gallon tank). Where could I buy such a vivarium/terrarium/aquarium cheap? Glass Cages? Glass Cages is a ripoff for terrariums, they look horrible!!!! If anyone has journal pics of their vivariums, can you post them?

I also wanted to ask what do you think would look better: a hex vivarium or a regular/bowfront vivarium?

this shows both the hex and the regulars:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/vi...vivariums.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Banned

These vivariums both look nice, but what looks better?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I really want to buy dart frogs, but equipment is expensive and the frogs themselves are expensive and I am a teenager with $50!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman9809 View Post
Im a teenager lacking funds that might set up a vivarium........What creatures (frogs preferably could fit in a 20-29 gallon tank). Where could I buy such a vivarium/terrarium/aquarium cheap? Glass Cages? Glass Cages is a ripoff for terrariums, they look horrible!!!! If anyone has journal pics of their vivariums, can you post them?

I also wanted to ask what do you think would look better: a hex vivarium or a regular/bowfront vivarium?

this shows both the hex and the regulars:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/vi...vivariums.html
Quote:
These vivariums both look nice, but what looks better?
Quote:
I really want to buy dart frogs, but equipment is expensive and the frogs themselves are expensive and I am a teenager with $50!
Try your local petsmart or petco. They have tanks, equipment, lighting, and frogs and toads. I like the look of regular tanks better for most things. He's are good for when you have tree climbing inhabitants imo.. Pac Man Frogs are interesting little buggers if you ask me! Sorry cant be much more help though.

Good Luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks, what size would you recommend for dart frogs?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
a 10g tank can hold 2 frogs. So 10g would be the minimum I think just because it is still spacious for the frog to roam around.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Banned

thanks a lot.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Would you recommend buying a terrarium, or aquarium, to set up the vivarium? (That rhymes! )

If terrarium, which brand?

If aquarium, which brand?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 05:10 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquarium, the other ones aren't meant to hold water if you're going to do some sort of water feature. And any of the major brands you find at Petco or Petsmart, like allglass are fine. Also, go 15 gallon minimum, preferably 20 for a pair of darts.

-Pat
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 06:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (95/100%)
I personally prefer a aquarium to be used for a terrariums and I found that a 10 gal was too small to do most things I wanted. I have a 20 gallon and am planning a 29 for my next project. a standard rectangle will cost you less.
check out the various aquarium web sites or e-bay you might be able to find some of the suff you need used.
Cindy

Cynthia
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 06:14 AM

Also search craigslist.com, it has great deals just make sure you go with someone if you want to check out what they are offering at their house.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 02:35 AM

cheap ways to find things

You need to be searching garage sales and dumpsters. I've found most of my tanks at garage sales, the want ads, thrifty nickle or the like, there are ussually people giving away tanks and if they are going to throw it away they ussually set it beside the dumpster. Look at apartment complexes suring the spring and fall when people are moving.

Soak everything in a bleach solution and let it dry in the sun. Do a leak test outside and re-caulk everything if you need to.

Make good with your petco and petsmart employees. You can get freebees thrown your way. But only if they think you know what your doing. They get a lot of animals abandoned that need good homes.

Study so you can spot deals and items that you can use in your local garden center that can be repurposed. Its amazing what you can do with pvc.

Start with 10 and 20 gal tanks with native frogs that you can buy cheap and play with there set ups.

A lot of plants that parents and grand parents have can be great in terrariums, pothos ivy and spider plants, mondo plants, monkey grass. Its not hard to find someone that doesnt use fertilizer...

um...does that help?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 09:07 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Check out dendroboard.com

It's an extremely helpful site when setting up a vivarium. Tyler's setups are amazing. I've seen them before and envy them. Read up on the type of frogs you would like, then make your selections on equipment from there. $50 won't get you far. . . but good luck!

Too poor to keep any tanks up

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode