Frog I found from the pond ate my anole?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi

I thought maybe my anole escaped from the lid but havent seen him anywhere...

Hes been gone about a week and a half and I got two frogs my brother brought home from a park (he brought home six and left them in a small cricket catcher adn 4 of them fried in the sun - So I foudn them and saved the 2 I could)...
The anole and the frogs lived together along with a turtle for about half a year adn the turtle lived with the anole for about 1 yr and a half...

One of the frog is about 3 inches tall and 4-5 inches long but hes wide and the other is like 3 inches tall 3 inches long and skinny...

Is it possible that they ate my 9 in anole?? Or you think he escaped?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 05:22 AM

Frogs are voracious and vicious...they'll eat anything that will fit in their rather large mouths and they'll TRY to eat anything that moves.

I wouldn't DOUBT if it ate your anole, but who knows? It might have tried to escape from the royal rumble of a tank you've got going there...

^iMp^
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 07:17 PM

If I were you I would return the frogs--in many places it is illegal to keep wild animals as pets and anyway I doubt they enjoy being in captivity, although I'm sure you care for them well but yes it is very possible that a frog ate your anole. I know from personal experience that not only will they eat everything that moves and will fit inside their mouths they will try (and sometimes succeed lol) to eat things that don't fit inside their mouths.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

I know I should release them but they were VERY VERY close to dieng when I found them and after about 10 months coming on a year they have managed to once again be healthy, but I am afraied thay forgot how to hunt for thier own food and may not be able to survive in the wild on their own...

I made about a 10 ft pen in the backyard for them that theyt spend the time in, along with the turtle, during the summer
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 04:13 AM
Planted Member

Statistically speaking, if you really caught them when they were about to die, then it should not matter, like picking a pre-corpse. Anyway, in captivity they might not have access to mating and many other "privileges" given by freedom, but they have a much lower chance of being eaten.

I would certainly keep them, and think of myself as a trustee of a national heritage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode