My new 50 gal dressed and ready - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My new 50 gal dressed and ready

I finally finished my custom built tank. Working waterfall with overflow and drain. I put in plants and decor last night after a week of redos due to leaks found when testing. Every thing is more or less from scratch. Plywood with venier and ariclic panels all sealed wil silicone. 1/4" Epoxy coating for wood sides. GS foam covered in silicone and coco bark. If anyone wants to know what anything is or how I made it let me know. I am definatly no expert but I can give you info on materials if anyone wants it but I figure this came in at around $150-175 give or take as I also had to buy a few tools that I can use again and I am not counting these (saws and power tools). You can count $20 or so went into extra stuff that was wasted or will go unused by either poor planing or limited supplies (one size that was to big)

Bargins:
For the lights after I made a box with a sliding arcitic etc. I found a few cheap parts at a hardware store and attached the spotlights in the picture at $5 each and plugged into each other it was quick and easy.
I added some moon lights I already had and since the wood was made from left overs from the tank part and silicone I already had the whole thing was like $25-30.

The pet stores sell gravel for $15 for 25 lbs. For basicly the same thing at home depot you can get pea gravel (that needs to be cleaned) for $3 for 50 lbs. (it was 40 or 50 as it is labeled as 3 cubit yards or something like that I used 1 1/4 bags)

Home depot also has a very nice looking 3/4" plywood for $25 and they will cut it for you in one direction. I had a scrap piece of 3/4" regular of the back for like $5.

I plan to add tree frogs in a few weeks after I make sure everything is running good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 09:48 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
The tank looks nice but there is something about this photo that scares the heck outta me. Im gonna guess you are brave, anxious and NOT an electrician...

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
The tank looks nice but there is something about this photo that scares the heck outta me. Im gonna guess you are brave, anxious and NOT an electrician...

Buck you crack me up....lol...and here I thought that was a hardware store display case for droplights.
Tank looks pretty cool in a MacGyverghettoesque kinda way. I'd seriously look into other lighting options though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's all grounded and behind plastic even if it doesn't look like it in the picture. Plus it's on a surge protected strip. I've seen these lights in much worse water conditions and not have an issue outside a blown bulb from direct water. 4 days with 12 hours per day and no issues.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 06:42 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Why is your eheim laying on its side???

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The only way the eheim will work quietly is that way. It is not able to get enough water on the pump straight up as I am not running it at 100% as it is to powerful (I'm using like 35%). I just had it sitting around and when I tried to sell it I got no offers the other pumps I had were not able to push enough water and I did not want to have to buy another one while this just sat around. I do not have the filter material in it either.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode