Anubias emersed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anubias emersed

Hello!
I've been trying to grow some anubias nana partially emergent, but the leaves that are out of the water always dry up and die. Why does this keep happening, and what can I do about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Anubias is a fully aquatic plant and should always have its leave moist otherwise the leaves will dry out. So just put the plant underwater.

40B Cold water planted
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Anubias is NOT a fully aquatic plant and will flourish in an emersed state if you keep the humidity up. I got several species and varieties in my emersed tanks. If you aren't using it in a closed tank, I'd suggest misting it a couple times per day more at the start. Several species are naturally found in non-submersed habitats.

RAOK Club #24

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Planted Member

I would say it's because you have more of the plant below the waterline than above it, causing it to try growing leaves designed to be submersed above the water.

People are too often merely stating an assumed truth from flawed observation.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Try keeping the rhyzome under the water, but the leaves above it. It's worked for me before.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 10:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
You can also keep the entire plant except a few roots out of water if in a humid environment. I've got some planted in a soil substrate mixture, that I've made for my emersed tanks, where only the soil in the bottom of the container is below the waterline. Grows like crazy, blooms often. The humidity within that tank ranges from 40/50 to 80% depending on when I remember to spray everything down and how well I put the year old plastic wrap back on.

Here is a semi-recent pic of one such plant.

RAOK Club #24
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have the same set-up as Johnson, waterline is up to substrate level and all I have are the roots under the soil. The rhizome is completely above soil/water. I do mist about 3 times a day. I also didn't transition it slowly, or at all for that matter. If it's coming from submerged growth to emersed I'd recommend misting at least 5 times a day for the first week to keep it nice and wet. Then you can start slowly decreasing the frequency of mistings.

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase

Last edited by Kirbybtf; 01-08-2014 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Fixing things
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 08:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've had success putting the Anubis over where my bubbles form or any kind of splashing, like a waterfall. I find I don't have to mist them this way. I'm got really good at remembering things like that.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 01:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Anubias Underwater

Anubias grown aquaponically under a humidity dome

Anubias grown underwater & above water

Anubias just need to stay damp in a humid environment. I have a few in the Riparium that do not have roots in the water and they are growing too. I use a bit of rock wool around the roots and wedge that into the crouch of a driftwood branch. The rockwool holds enough moisture to maintain the plant.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode