My first vivarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
My first vivarium

My new place doesn't allow fish tanks, so being the rebel and anarchist i am, i still have my planted tank... Minus the water.
Just a few pics to get started, this will be a slow build but hopefully turn out real nice. Enjoy.

Cleaned and ready to go

40lb top soil. 40lb miracle grow organic potting soil. 2lb vermiculite. Yes i know i went a bit overboard on the soil... Oh well lol.

There's a 5g fish tank in there that is home to my old as dirt betta, two red claws, a micro rasbora, and a julii Cory cat.

The hole in the piece of cork is where my waterfall will come out. The pump is on its way from amazon. I drilled a hole in the wood and put a small 90 degree elbow in there to direct flow from the pump.

Plants so far are...
Dwarf Hairgrass
Hygrophilia Corymbosa
Hygrophilia.....?
Anubias nana
Crypt wenditii

Feel free to ask for more details or suggest something cool for me to try! After all, this is one huge experiment.
Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Got a couple new things at home Depot. Pump should be arriving today for the waterfall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 06:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Nice looks good!

Wouldn't a rebel and anarchist just set up an aquarium though? hahahaha......

RAOK Club #24

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 10:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Have you talked to your landlord about it, or is it just a bit in the lease?

My lease didn't allow for anything over 10gallons, but I got (written) permission to put in a larger tank. I think my landlord just used a fairly standard form lease. I did say I would bit a containment basin under the tank/stand in the unlikely event of a leak.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have an aquarium too lol. 7.5g reef tank. Just small enough to hide in a closet

I have talked to them. They said i can put as many tanks in as i want, for a nominal fee of $600 per tank. No, that wasn't a typo. $600.

Update:

Better fts.

My pump arrived today so the waterfall is active! Had to arrange to wood to fit the pump but overall i like it better this way. My red claws are snipping off my crypt leaves though! Their cave looks wonderful with them decorating the inside with my flora.

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbybtf View Post
I have talked to them. They said i can put as many tanks in as i want, for a nominal fee of $600 per tank. No, that wasn't a typo. $600.
Is it a deposit or an actual fee?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's a "deposit", 200 non refundable. I understand where they're coming from, however they refuse to budge on even the smallest of tanks. I have thought about trying to contact the owner personally, but they refused to give me his contact information. And it a letter was sent, it would go through management before it got to the owner. To say the least, this rental company is sketchy and money hungry.

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So I've been thinking, and they one thing i forgot to do when building this thing is add a drainage layer. Am i ever gonna have issues with that? There's lots of pools of water on my substrate, with no circulation.

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Breaking it down, got bored. Onto the next project!

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 06:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
Sorry to hear that

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode