New to Plants /Terrarium (CoCo Bedding Aquatic Plant Soil Uni-Gro Green Moss) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Arrow New to Plants /Terrarium (CoCo Bedding Aquatic Plant Soil Uni-Gro Green Moss)

Hello Everyone, I am yoko

I'm not sure to call myself an "aquarist", but I know that I AM a BETTA FREAK and I am very much into fish-keeping.
Having +12 1 gallon tanks all over my room, I have been researching and considering making a DIVIDED-Biotope tank for the bettas.
Originally, I was researching Planted tanks, but came across Chuck's Palundarium, and from there, Vivariums and then lastly, Terrariums and and and

What is ironic is that I told myself I would never go LIVE PLANTS!! But I am so driven to do this. I have to conquer my fear of plants and lack of confidence in keeping plants alive....... I have to do it for my babies

I am stressing out... I don't even know if this is the correct sub-forum to post in, but if I don't speak up here, now, my questions will never get answered.

Basically, I don't know WTH to do now... I have been reading so much different kind of information--- I am learning A LOT, but it is also beginning to confuse me, because I have so many options.......

I just received my 501 ZooMed canister filter in the mail today. I will be using this in my 6.6 Gal Acrylic Bookshelf Tank.

I suppose I will ask my questions now-
I picked up this brick of Coconut Fiber Potting Medium "Down to Earth" at the nursery.

If I silicone this to styrofoam so that I can use it as a background, will it MOLD?

Also, can this coconut fiber be fully submerged in water without ROTTING?

I want to place it at the bottom of the tank (like a river, no plants).

Uni-Gro "GREEN MOSS"

Also from the Nursery, I was wondering if this can also be submerged without rotting the water?

I wanted to attach this to plastic canvas (tank dividers).
I originally got this to place on the "Land" area, but was still wondering.

SCHULTZ Acquatic Plant Soil

Would it be safe/ efficient to use this in place of "Terra Lite"???

Any answers or advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you for reading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 03:24 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Alright, well, I'm surprised that your questions haven't been answered yet, so I'll take care of them for you. To start with, if you use coconut fiber on the background, it will probably mold, but all vivaria go through this- it passes with time. So, if you get some white, fuzzy mold, just spray it down every day or so with distilled water, and it'll be taken care of. If you use the fiber in the water, make certain that you use it only sparingly, as it will release tannin into the water, and that's esthetically unpleasing. It shouldn't rot in the water, if you're sparse with it. Personally, if I was going to put something in the river section, I would use either sand or gravel. As for that moss, it would rot in the water, without a doubt. In fact, I wouldn't use that in a terrarium at all, as it wil decay even if not submersed. You should actually look for long fibered, dry sphagnum (you can probably find it at HD or Lowes.) As for using moss in the dividers, I would try to use combinations of aquatic mosses (like java, christmas, taiwan, etc) along with sand, gravel, coark bark, and driftwood. That keeps things varied and blends in more thoroughly. The aquatic soil you picked will work out well, but it's very light, so you'll probably have to cap it with ether sand or gravel (something more dense.) Anyway, good luck.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
coconut shouldnt mold and the moss shouldnt mold too

One month in.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

Smile

Agrippa, Thank you!! I was beginning to wonder if I posted this in the wrong forum? But didn't want to repost. But I am eager to get some anwers, as it IS a Friday night and I want to get this started!!! Thank you so much!!!
While at work, I was daydreaming of some ideas for dividers and came up with some good ones, too hard to describe to get an accurate visual, so hopefully I can come up with something and post pictures later!

So, everything is a GO, except that nursery "Green Moss"?

I noticed it smells very strong of SALTWATER!? It smells like the beach in my kitchen......!! I wanted to use it in the land area, too.. o well... I will probably end up using live sheet moss, instead...

OK, let's see what I can get accomplished here.. THANK YOU, again, Agrippa!!!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenbarb View Post
coconut shouldnt mold and the moss shouldnt mold too
Well, I am going to try out the moss in a 2.2 gal and see how that goes.....

Hey I am into kicks, too XII's are my fav. I wear my shoes, though, so I don't consider myself a collector. Also couple pairs of AJ I's black/blue, black/gold cool cool Thanks frozenbarb
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 03:49 AM
Planted Member

Yeah, that moss is actually bleached and then dyed, so that's why it smells funny. Because of its chemical content, it actually tends to kill plants, so that's another reason I won't use it. I actually advised that you use sphagnum moss because it's cheap, nd if you supply it with lots of light, moisture, and patience, it will sprout live sphagnum moss (which, unlike sheet moss, is a tropical moss that will stay beautiful year-round) along with various tropical grasses, utricularia, liverworts, and a whole assortment of random plants. I really love watching this stuff progress. If you're lucky, you might even end up with carnivorous plants. If you want to use live moss, go with pillow moss or other tropical mosses, becuase sheet moss needs a hibernation period. Have fun, because this is always a learning process.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrippa View Post
...sphagnum moss because it's cheap, nd if you supply it with lots of light, moisture, and patience, it will sprout live sphagnum moss (which, unlike sheet moss, is a tropical moss that will stay beautiful year-round) along with various tropical grasses, utricularia, liverworts, and a whole assortment of random plants. I really love watching this stuff progress. If you're lucky, you might even end up with carnivorous plants. If you want to use live moss, go with pillow moss or other tropical mosses, becuase sheet moss needs a hibernation period. Have fun, because this is always a learning process.
Oh okay, I THINK I saw sphagnum moss at the nursery, but not sure, will that be okay to use? I've read of "dead" sphagnum moss comming to life, but wasn't sure how that worked or if it was true. I have no idea where to get tropical mosses- I am going to have to research that. Thank You!!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 01:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to dufus
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
Well, I am going to try out the moss in a 2.2 gal and see how that goes.....

Hey I am into kicks, too XII's are my fav. I wear my shoes, though, so I don't consider myself a collector. Also couple pairs of AJ I's black/blue, black/gold cool cool Thanks frozenbarb
Kicks?-K-swiss all the way! I may try some marc Ecko's though.

the moss will rot, the coco fiber won't , but will dark the water. it is great for a background, everyone uses it.
Need more info? dendroboard.com is good w/terr/viv/paulidariums.

-Devin-
Steve irwin- a father, a hero, a memory now. -We'll miss you mate
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufus View Post
Kicks?-K-swiss all the way! I may try some marc Ecko's though.

the moss will rot, the coco fiber won't , but will dark the water. it is great for a background, everyone uses it.
Need more info? dendroboard.com is good w/terr/viv/paulidariums.
[email protected] :P
What's up dufus! Thanks for replying!!

You know what, I was under the impression that people don't unsually fully SUBMERGE their coco fiber and that it is usually on the "land areas", not underwater...?

I've never heard of anyone completely submerging the coco fiber...

Now, it says on the packaging that it is "biodegradable. Can be used for up to 4 years"

Now, after 4 years, does it begin to deteriorate???

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 02:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

Maybe, i know in my iguana(keep that word in mind)'s cage, it turns to dust if i get wayyyyyy lazy and don't change it for like a year(i'm horrible, i know)
but again, iguana.
some stuff just doesn't degrade as fast as you think it does.
flourite and aquasoil eventually turn to dust too, so that could give you an idea of the term "biodegradable".

-Devin-
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

So, basically, nothing is forever?!?!

DUST, seriously????
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 02:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

yea, i think there are some posts in the soil section regarding replacing the dust.

-Devin-
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

I dunno dufus... what you think?

You call it,

I am all about experimenting.

Doesn't seem like anyone has tried it?

Maybe I'll just try it...
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Quote:
Originally Posted by dufus View Post
flourite and aquasoil eventually turn to dust too, so that could give you an idea of the term "biodegradable".
Okay...Now you mean that the flourite Ihave turns into dust or does have a SAND consistancey(spl)? I was under the impression that it doesnt deteriorate into dust at all

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 04:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

Nothing is forever. as yoko said.
Flourite seems to last longer than others, as i understand, but think about nature. How do you think say the grand canyon got there? Erosion has a tremendous effect on things, and in an artificial inviroment, who knows, it could speed up or slow, but eventually, the gravel will turn to a mulmy dust. it even happens to the "clown puke" gravels eventually.

YOKO: I would try it in a uninhabited tank for a while first. check ph and hardness and ammonia.
it may become a new trend.who knows?

-Devin-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode