New member Paludarium Pictures - Also, lighting help needed. - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By TimsViv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I happened upon it while trying to figure what the best lighting would be for my tank.

The tank is a 72 gallon Bow Front, truly separated land and water Paludarium. It houses the following:
Land
- 1 D. Tinctorius (M)
- 1 D. Leucomelas (M)
- 1 D. Azureus (M)
- 3 Anoles (1M/2F)

Water
- 2 Dwarf Gourmies (M/F)
- 4 Long Fin Zebra Danios
- 6 Neon Tetras
- 1 small Cory Cat
- 1 small Crayfish
- 2 Dwarf Claw Frogs
- 2 Asian Floating Frogs (Rice Paddy Frogs)

I am having good luck with the Java Moss, Java Fern, and Amazon Sword, but that's about all. I would like to grow a nice carpet of aquatic ground cover. Any suggestions?

Tim
birdermom and birdermom like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 08:50 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
How much light do you have? Looks fairly bright. You shouldn't have trouble growing just about any ground cover. I think baby tears would make a cool ground cover, though. I don't know if that is Hygro Polysperma under the waterfall but I would replace it with baby tears and let it grow low down to the front to soften the change from the land to the lagoon.
The H. polysperma (?) looks good and it is tempting to grow some glosso but even with bright light, you'll have a hard time without CO2 injection (and the watefall kinda makes that impossible).

Kinda like this...

- Sam P -
Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

GCA -

Currently I've got two (2) 48", 40 watt flourscents; one 5.0 Repti-Sun and one Home Depot Plant & Aquarium light. I've tried one of the "grasses", but it slowly died off, also, I don't have much luck with land mosses or ferns. What flourscents do you feel would work the best?

I don't know the name of the plant under the water fall, but it ends up being too much stem once it grows out. Which plant is the Baby Tears? Is it the same as the land variety?

Regarding the CO2, I've tried to introduce some in an unconvientional mannor. The set up, also, houses a fully planted sump in the cabinet stand. The sump and the tank are set up on timers and are lite on opposite schedules. My theory is, the plants take in CO2 and produce oxygen in the light and take in Oxygen and produce CO2 in the dark. Thus the Sump should be producing CO2 during the day when the tank is lite (and the Sump is dark). There is an additional water supply to the tank that does not break the waters surface. This, also, helps to maintain the PH level. Let me know your feelings on this idea.

Tim

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 06:45 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am sooooooo jealous! Go away! Get off my turf! :twisted:

Kidding, this is exactly what I am going for. Right now I have half of this. When I determine how I am going to do my water section, this spring, I will hopefully have something close to this.

Ferns and mosses require constant moisture, humidity of 50+, well drained but daily moistened soil, slightly acidic soil, shade (More ambient light). My remedy was to make plexiglass cutouts, (Used for it's rigidness.), that resemble leaves from trees above. I sandblasted the plexiglass, so light still passes through, but is diffused enough to provide a slight shade. Arg... I need to get my camera back from my sister!

Some ferns also need a frozen dormant stage in order to continue existence. They will live without this frozen stage, but will eventually die off.

Mine get removed and stuck outside to freeze in the winter, heavily wrapped in white paper-towel. This saves them from freezer burn, and keeps temperature fluctuation down... a mini buffer. One month later you pull them in and replant, dead leaves and all. When new sprouts come up and have fully opened, trim the dead leaves.

As for the mosses, from reading, I have found that they are real specific when it comes to growing conditions. Any harsh changes in PH, water delivery, planting, etc... can kill them. The best luck I have had is by collecting only mosses that are sitting in direct sunlight from my yard. This means that they are light tolerant, chemically tolerant, (We water our lawn with tap water (Chlorinated). Our yard is mostly clay and sand with little actual soil, and is surrounded with pine trees.

You can make acid-soil by grabbing a hand-full of fresh pine needles, drying them out, and crumbling them into fine chunks, then just add to your soil mix. (Test your mixture to make sure you are not adding too much, try to match the soil that you found the moss in.)

You can make acid water with the same method, only soak the crumbled needles in un-chlorinated water for about three weeks. Mixing every few days. Add this concentrate to fresh water to get the correct PH... When you know the ratio, just mix that way again... it will be close enough to satisfy your plants that love acid. (Don't saturate with the acid water, only enough to moisten that exact plants leaves, and immediate root area. Otherwise you will constantly be battling water PH problems from seepage.)

Please post your pics also in my post of user pictures... I want a nice candy entrance for this place. Your tank is like crack candy, total inspiration.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 06:53 AM

The lighting sounds fine, only there are too many watts of power for the low light plants... (Perfect, actually might even be not enough for the water plants... you have to trust Golf Coast Aquarium's advice on that aspect.)

My 55 gallon tank has two 18inch, 15watt, sun spectrum bulbs, (Life-Glo), that provide 10 - 6 hours of illumination. (They come on and turn off 2 hours apart, with a 6 hour overlap, noonish period 9-3.)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 12:52 PM
Dee

Wow that is quite an amazing looking setup you got there. Very very pretty!!!!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 01:09 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimsViv
GCA -

Currently I've got two (2) 48", 40 watt flourscents; one 5.0 Repti-Sun and one Home Depot Plant & Aquarium light. I've tried one of the "grasses", but it slowly died off, also, I don't have much luck with land mosses or ferns. What flourscents do you feel would work the best?
I don't know the name of the plant under the water fall, but it ends up being too much stem once it grows out. Which plant is the Baby Tears? Is it the same as the land variety?
Well that isn't much light, but you still might get by with the Baby Tears. It's not the same as the terrestial variety, but shares the same common name.
The Repti-Sun tube isn't much good for plants with a lot of raw UV emission and less phosphor coating. If your habitants don't need it, I would switch to two of those Home Depot bulbs. Or maybe four - a second dual-strip would really help you with your chances of a lawn in that lagoon.

Quote:
Regarding the CO2, I've tried to introduce some in an unconvientional mannor. The set up, also, houses a fully planted sump in the cabinet stand. The sump and the tank are set up on timers and are lite on opposite schedules. My theory is, the plants take in CO2 and produce oxygen in the light and take in Oxygen and produce CO2 in the dark. Thus the Sump should be producing CO2 during the day when the tank is lite (and the Sump is dark). There is an additional water supply to the tank that does not break the waters surface. This, also, helps to maintain the PH level. Let me know your feelings on this idea.
Reefs use this system with refugiums and algae scrubbers to keep pH balanced. It seems to work for pH balance but I don't know that you're sipplying a significant amount of CO2 for your plants. Any CO2 gases the plants in the sump might let out would quickly outgas in that waterfall.
Your best shot (possibly only shot - with the waterfall) at providing Carbon to your plants is going with Seachem's Flourish Excel. It's an organic (instead of gaseous) form of Carbon that won't outgas in the aerating waterfall. The waterfall is too nice to get rid of!

- Sam P -
Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

All -
Thanks again the the nice replys.

Zurp -
Where can you post multiple pictures? I have some
construction progress pictures.

GCA -
Thanks for the specific replys. I went ahead and replaced
the Repti-Sun 5.0 with a full spectrum bulb for the time being.
Two Plant & Aquarium tubes, just didn't provide a good viewing
light.
I do plan on adding two more tubes eventually. I would like to
try one of the "Moonlight" bulbs to run for a few hours in the evening
and 3 day bulbs on staggered timers. Can you make any suggestions
on Kelvin ratings or specific bulbs? I would like to have a combination
of the following:
1 - Plant Bulb
1 - Full Spectrum Bulb (High noon type bulb, to run for aroud 4-5 hours)
1 - Viewing Bulb (that would help to bring out the most vivid colors of
my frogs and fish - this would be the only bulb burning in the evening
during prime viewing hours)
1 - Moonlight Bulb (to be run by itself in the early evening, just after
lights out)

As for the CO2, Yea, I don't want to sacrafice the water feature.
The plants have been doing well for the past year, esp.
the Java Moss, Java Fern and Amazon Sword. Any suggestions
for plants that would have similar requirements.

Thanks,
Tim
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 11:16 PM

You can post multiple pictures in any post... just keep hitting ADD ATTACHMENT after each attachment posting... The posting setup is a little confusing, but once you get the hang of it, you will do fine.

I think the attachments also get posted in reverse order! Your first image post goes at the bottom, and your last image goes at the top...

To easily keep them in order, you should make several replys to your own post, each with its own picture. (I would also make a new post, one titled, "Step by step setup of my....", or something like that.)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

What happened to the pictures in the original post?

Tim
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Another pic.

Tim
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/...9468336067.jpg

Last edited by TimsViv; 09-01-2004 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Add Picture
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 10:36 PM

Quote:

Hey! Nice looking!!!!!!!

May you say how you separated the water and land?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

aychamo - I recently posted a Construction Photo Journal - https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=10850

It shows how I separated the land and water sections. I got a little more creative then just siliconing a straight piece of plexiglass across the tank.

Tim
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
where are the pictures???

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I had all of the pictures hosted at PhotoIsland.com, but they canceled the service.

Here is a link to the construction thread in the Photo Albumn section - https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=10850

Tim

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode