Aquatic amphibians in a riparium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Aquatic amphibians in a riparium?

Has anyone ever kept fully aquatic amphibians (like African clawed frogs or axolotls) in a riparium? I thought it might be a way to have a planted tank with these critters that probably would tear up many aquatic plants...

Or are they too sensitive to fertilizers, etc in the water?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 11:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Hey Aplomado,

I have kept aquatic amphibians, and I have kept ripariums, but I haven't kept them together (not yet anyway).

It should work, I think the plants wouldn't need much fertilizer as the amphibian's waste should supply all the needed fertilizers.

Good luck and let us know if you make an amphibian riparium!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 03:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
i have 2 african clawed frogs in a planted paludarium they have been there for well over a year and thriving. i was going to do axolotls but because the temps stay close to 76 i chose to go with the clawed frogs. here is a pic of my setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130725_190035.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	191026  

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 05:52 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplomado View Post
Has anyone ever kept fully aquatic amphibians (like African clawed frogs or axolotls) in a riparium? I thought it might be a way to have a planted tank with these critters that probably would tear up many aquatic plants...

Or are they too sensitive to fertilizers, etc in the water?
I have a planted tank with african clawed frogs, three large females. They don't really wreck it that badly but kicked up plants can happen, they also have a habit of biting plants during feeding time because they mistake it for food, so they are prone to biting leaves off.

Overall, it's not too bad. They will probably stream roll over delicate plants though.

They would do fine in a riparium but just keep a few things in mind.

If you have no top, they will try to escape. If you keep the water level low enough and don't give them a way to climb out you should be okay.

If you want other inhabitants in your riparium (like fish), african clawed frogs will most likely eat them. If you have any terrestrial inhabitants, they will be hunted and consumed if they are small enough to fit in the frogs mouth.

They prefer cool water 68F-72F, long term exposure to higher temperatures can lead to health issues. Axolotls need even lower temperatures, they are a cold water species.

These frogs like to bask and preferred subdued lighting, so don't blast them with high powered lights. Strong lights can also blind them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode