Water and land separation - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Lee04's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Washington, USA
Posts: 249
Water and land separation

Hello,

I've been trying to separate the water from the land in one of my tank builds.
I tried hot gluing with even layers some acrylic as a barrier, but it could not hold back the water.
Do I need to use silicone? Are there better ways?

Here is a similar tank to what I am trying for (not mine):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Full View.jpg
Views:	6701
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	144634

Thanks for your help!
Lee04 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 05:45 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Singapore
Posts: 67
Silicone should work. It keeps the water in your tank from leaking all over the floor. Just be sure to get ones that are aquarium safe.
cephelix is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
lochaber's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 2,318
If it's a glass tank, you are probably going to have to silicone a pane of glass in. And be prepared for leaks, as silicone won't seal/adhere to cured silicone very well.

I think this is the reason people do false-bottoms for the land section, so that it doesn't get flooded due to leaks and what not.

I like putting a sort of ledge or shelf at about water level, but that doesn't leave much vertical room for plant growth and what not. (and it can make cleaning a bit more difficult)
lochaber is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 12:47 AM
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 296
I did something similar once. I used plexi I got at Home Depot instead of glass. The water weight would bulge out the plexi and eventually it would leak. What I had to do was put enough dirt on the land side to hold it in place. So it looked like the pic you have except one side full of water and one side full of dirt if that makes sense. It lasted for 2 years before I traded it and as far as I know it would still be working.
Fishumms is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Lee04's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Washington, USA
Posts: 249
Quote:
Silicone should work. It keeps the water in your tank from leaking all over the floor. Just be sure to get ones that are aquarium safe.
Ok, I will use silicone, thank you!

Quote:
If it's a glass tank, you are probably going to have to silicone a pane of glass in. And be prepared for leaks, as silicone won't seal/adhere to cured silicone very well.

I think this is the reason people do false-bottoms for the land section, so that it doesn't get flooded due to leaks and what not.

I like putting a sort of ledge or shelf at about water level, but that doesn't leave much vertical room for plant growth and what not. (and it can make cleaning a bit more difficult)
Hmmm...I'm new to this, so I'm having trouble picturing it (False bottom/ledge). Sounds interesting, would you mind posting a photo?

Quote:
I did something similar once. I used plexi I got at Home Depot instead of glass. The water weight would bulge out the plexi and eventually it would leak. What I had to do was put enough dirt on the land side to hold it in place. So it looked like the pic you have except one side full of water and one side full of dirt if that makes sense. It lasted for 2 years before I traded it and as far as I know it would still be working.
Plexiglass is what I'll be working with, so this sounds promising! Thanks for mentioning!
Lee04 is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 08:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
WheeledGoat's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 324
it's not the most elegant of solutions, but it would be absolutely waterproof: use a separate container to hold the water. maybe a food storage container if you can find one big enough, or fab your own w/ plexiglass to the exact dimensions.
WheeledGoat is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome