Need help with a fillter idea for a tree frog terrarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a 30gal tamk set up and I have a water area that is about 8"x8" and it is about 2" deep. I need to filter that water. The terrarium has alot of plants in it. I have 3 white's tree frogs in the tank and the water area gets dirty really fast. I am getting tired of doing water changes all the time. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 02:42 PM

Internal filter?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
2" deep is going to be tough. Only thing I can think of is an undergravel filter with an external powerhead pulling water out into a waterfall. Or if you could find a really, really small powerhead to submerge in 2" of water, just set it right on top of an UGF uptube.

- Sam P -
Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Fluval Internal Filter would be the way to go. Ive used these in 2" of water so... although you may have to raise teh water level a bit...

Just lie it down on its side and it should work wonders.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 04:00 PM

I love my filter...

Actually, I have used a few low profile filters. The one I use now, and have used the longest, is called "DUETTO" (DJ 50 MODEL). Basically it is a lowprofile pump with a filter chamber. This pump has two filter stages. I don't like the medium setup... and it also has a Charcoal canister and flow regulator. The pump is completely submersable and has two nozel attachments, hose attachment, or flat aimable jet spray. It only needs to be 1/2 inch below the water surface, I have had mine running at the water surface for a while, my newt likes to burrow under it and push it up.

NOTE: Cut the glue points on the charcoal canister and fill it with charcoal/ammo mix... this will cut down on odor, and excess amonia nitrate pollution (Decaying frog poop).

I run this filter for one hour, 5 times a day. (My frogs and tiger salamander like the quiet time.) This will do several things...
1). Extend the life of the pump.
2). Allow benificial bacteria to work better.
3). Stops your SMALL water area from over-heating from pump operation.
4). Stops the filter from clogging quickly, which stops waterflow... adding more heat.
5). Keeps your water crystal clear.

As an added bonus you can add some "Glass Shrimp" and some floating lettuce plants, (Not lettuce, it is a nickname of a floating plant.) Frogs love to sit on this plant like it is a lilli-pad. This will also provide cover for the glass shrimp. The shrimp will clean the plants and most edible debris, and the plants will absorb a lot of the toxic chemicals and gasses in the water.

I do a 1/2 water change every month, and I add about one to two cups a week to the water. My water area is a plastic sink basin with the rounded edge cut off. The container is surrounded by coco-fiber bedding and stones with large flat mica-stones around teh edges. The pump rests flat on the bottom, under one of the larger stones that hangs over the water tub.

NOTE: Rest the pump flat on the bottom, with the nozzel pointing directly up, not to the side... This thing will create an unwanted flow that will keep your pets out of the water. Even with the flow at 1/3 you will see a whirpool start to form... and fish running out of breath... um... water...

FYI: I have a 30 gallon tank with 1/3 water (Basin) with two Chinese Alge Eaters, one Fire Belly Newt, three Fire Belly Toads, one Grey Tiger Salamander, four Glass Shrimp, and several plants.
The plants are as follows, one Clump Moss, two Blanket Mosses, one Swamp Moss, two Stunted Ferns, one Common Swamp Lilly, three Creeping Swamp Vines, and six Unidentified Swamp Plants.

I think I need a bigger box...

P.S. Don't use the AIR LINE thing... this will render the pump useless unless you stand it up to operate. The air will build up inside, and stop the impeller from functioning, which will burn up your pump.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode