How much light - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm setting up an old 40 gallon breeder as a vivarium. I need to know how much and what style of lights I should put over this thing. The footprint of the aquarium is 36"x18". My lights are going to be in a hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 04:37 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Depends a little on the type of plants you want to grow in there. Generally speaking, you don't need as much wattage as you need for a planted aquarium. OTOH, if you want to get Orchids and Bromeliads to flower, you need quite a bit. So... what do you want to do?

If you use a hood (not an open top style) any form of fluorescents should be good, if they don't get too hot. Think about ventilation to minimize condensation on glass surfaces.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

I've ordered a number of Tillansias which I'd like to flower. I think my tank is too short for most orchids.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 06:55 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I hope someone with more experience than I do can help. There are many many Tillandsias with very different requirements. Generally the darker green ones need less light than the scaly, whitish/bluish green epiphytic Tillandsias. They are easy to keep alive, the question is if they will flower or not...

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Well, I was just wondering if anyone with experience with vivs can tell me whether I should do 2x55w CF or 2x36 w CF or 3-4x13w CF or 3x19w NO.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 07:00 PM
Planted Tank VIP

I would go with a pair of 55 watt bulbs. That should be plenty.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 05:30 PM
Algae Grower

Yeah, the tillandsias without the whitish scaly exterior also need a dryer environment that what is found in most vivariums. I have one, I think it it T. bulbosum (or something similar) that is doing great and just now flowering (under a 250 halide). I have some of the whitish ones also and I keep them in areas that are high and dry. There are some nice small non-tillandsia bromeliads that do great in vivariums, check Blackjungle's selection.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 10:45 PM

I havent built an viv. but I do have a planted tank and there is a rule of thumb 3 watts per gallon for high light plants. With 3 watts per gallon you can grow almost anything. Its too bad that there is not a rule of thum for viv. But if you do get 2 55 wat bulbs that should be plenty bright and enough light regardless of what your growing. One question though...how do the posion dart frogs react to really bright light?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode