California Newts and Western Toads together? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have 2 California Newts in a terrarium with 4 tiny (about one-half inch long) Western Toads. Should they be in separate terrariums? The toads seem to be hogging the little cave that the newts like to hide in.

Thanks, DK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 08:36 PM

when you say California newts, what exactly are you talking about... if you are talking about a California tiger salamander (Newt) then don't worry about the frogs, they will be dinner for the newt... If you are talking about a smaller newt like a fire-belly, don't worry, they should dominate the water when it is available, frogs mostly dominate land.

If you are totally mistaken, and have salamanders, not newts, then the frogs will smother the salamanders and possibly find them as a tasty snack. Feed both regularly and all is good, otherwise get more bark shelters. If that doesn't work, then separate them. Salamanders prefer burrowing under damp bark chunks, frogs prefer caves and large burrows.

The tiger salamander is not really a salamander, it is a smooth skinned newt as an EFT (an EFT is a morphed newt/adult), newts have tall and flattened tails. Salamanders have round tubular tails. Most EFTs have semi-rough or rough skin like toads and lizards, but they are not scales, just rough skin.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 05:09 PM

I wouldn't mix the species...unless you have a damn big tank. Frogs are aggressive and much faster than newts. California newts are poisonous.

From the sounds of things, the toads will end up getting eaten by the newts. However, the toads may eat all of the newts food before it can feed...and the toads probably like a different environment (drier). I have no experience with the toads, however...so who knows.

My advice? Buy another 20 or 10 gallon tank and separate them.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 02:10 PM

FYI:

One 55 gallon tank has the floor space of about four 10 gallon tanks.

55 gallon tank is aproximately equal to...
- (3.5 X 10Gal.),
- (1.25 X 40Gal. Breeder),
- (1.75 X 20Gal. Long)

40 gallon breeder tank is aproximately equal to...
- (1.25 x 20Gal. Long)
- (2 X 10Gal.)

20 gallon long tank is aproximately equal to...
- (1.5 X 10Gal.)

55Gal. tank $99.00
40Gal. breeder tank $70.00
20Gal. long tank $45.00
10Gal. tank $10.00

For the price of one 55Gal. tank you can get nine 10Gal. tanks.
Nine 10Gal. tanks is like having 2.5 55Gal. tanks with the added bonus of nine seporate areas. Only use eight as occupied tanks, and use the last one as a quarenteen, or a waiting cell while thier tank is being cleaned.

Realistically, Buy five 10Gal. tanks, and a 55Gal. open stand. That will hold four tanks and all accesories needed to run them. Keep the oddball tank seporate for the above mentioned situations. Communal living is OK, but having your own pad is better all around. (No pun intended)

Remember, exotic = expensive... you can't have an exotic-cheap tank, only cheap. If you can't afford exotic then stick with basic. Basic doesn't have to be bland or stereo-typical. There are many "COMMON" and "ORIGINAL" pets that can occupy a tank with little upkeep.

I don't have an Exotic-Cheap tank, I have a Basic-Expensive tank. The diffrence is about -$50.00 a month in electricity, -$25.00 a month in food, -$600.00 up-front in setup, and -28 days a month (of 30) in effort for up-keep. In the end, I have one of the best basic tank, not a make-shift exotic tank. Now if I could just make up my mind on how I want it decorated... (That is what really uses up my two days a month!)

I am now using my 20Gal. Long as a green-house for plants that will end up in my 55Gal. vivarium. The plants seem to last longer when they get a chance to grow without getting hopped on, or plowed over. By the way, does any-one here know how to split ferns? Does clipping work?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode