D. azureus vivarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
D. azureus vivarium

In about a month I'll be getting two jeuvenile D. azureus poison dart frogs. I had my friend help me setup a vivarium for them. I don't remember the names of alot of the plants, but I do have 4 orchids in it (bulbophyllum, mini epidendrum, and 2 more I don't remember the names of) an african violet, a lipstick plant, and some kind of small fern. I'm going to try converting some of my aquatic plants over to emmersed and planting them in here as well, such as some crypts and dwarf hairgrass, and I'll also probably add terrestrial mosses, including spanish moss hanging from the branch.

When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire
When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire
Oh, be thou then the first, the one thou art, be thou the calling, before all answering love
And in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 10:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
You are going to want some leaf litter
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've got some IAL I'll throw in there.

When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire
Oh, be thou then the first, the one thou art, be thou the calling, before all answering love

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
you're going to want smaller than ial leaves. azureus are small little creatures. they may not be able to get under ial leaves unless you place them for them. stay away from the moss, if a tiny bit is swallowed, they can become impacted. not good. otherwise, it should grow in nicely. any plans for a background?

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Azureus are actually one of the larger dart frogs, their body is almost 2" long as adults. I'll have a cocohut for them to hide in if necessary and tear up some IAL to have on the ground. I wanted this tank specifically to be viewable from all sides, so no background.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Algae Grower

Looks great. I'm wanting to try something simple like this and get somekind of amphibian for my classroom.
Are you circulating the water?
How did you make the little pool?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Very nice! I love the look, but curious to see answers to the questions above.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Basically, we used the eggcrate stuff to build a fase botom, so it's 4 sides and a top to make a box with the bottom open, just tall enough to clear the tiny fountain pump, held together with zip ties and then covered with screening. Its smaller than the bottom of the aquarium by about 1" all the way around. Then we filled in all the way aound the sides of the false bottom with pea gravel, then covered the top with a layer of charcoal and then coconut fiber. The pump has a small tube sticking up through a hole we cut in the screen and then there is a hole drilled in the cork bark for the waterfall, with another piece of cork bark on top to baffle the flow.

To make the pool, I cleared an area all the way down to the false bottom and laid down a circular piece of pond liner, then filled it with small pea gravel and lined the edges with river rocks to hide the pond liner.

The tank has about 3" of water in it, filled to just below the coconut fiber.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 11:04 PM
Planted Member

I was going to plan on getting dart frogs, but due to the lack of space and nowhere to put a display up, I opted out. I know someone that breeds them as well, so I could have gotten them pretty cheap.

Setup looks good, I would add leaf litter and more cover, or you may not see them as much. The more cover the better.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah, going to add a cocohut and more plants to fill things in some more.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode