Apparantly, I've wanted a paludarium since before I knew what it was. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Apparantly, I've wanted a paludarium since before I knew what it was.

I didn't even know it had a name--the idea of having land and water together in a single tank? I've always wanted to have a "fish tank" where it sloped steeply enough I could also keep some hermit crabs on the "shore"... Or try to imitate tidal pools, with a tank that emptied and refilled on a schedule (Haven't seen that yet anywhere, though--has anyone done it?)

But some of the ones I'm seeing around the web look incredibly complex, I don't even know how to begin to do something that lovely within any reasonable budget.

Is that sort of thing the purview of the rich and privileged, or can something like that happen on the budget of recent college grad?

"Aquariums are like science, art, and hypno-therapy, all rolled into one," I insisted.
"You're not putting a hundred gallon tank in the living room," my roommate replied.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Planted Member

I saw a video of a guy who made a tank for mudskippers and he did exactly what you were talking about with the water draining and filling back up. It was awesome.

---
Get shrimped out!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 03:25 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
I've seen steeply sloped SW tanks with wave timers that imitate this sort of thing. It's not a cheap affair. I think I've seen a rocky mbuna tank on a wave timer as well to mimic near shore.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Aaaah, that sounds wonderful. I might have to start another savings account for something like this. So much inspiration, so little money...

"Aquariums are like science, art, and hypno-therapy, all rolled into one," I insisted.
"You're not putting a hundred gallon tank in the living room," my roommate replied.

-
-
-

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

You should evaluate what your OTHER hobbies are before getting into this.

Like anything else in life, your dedication will manifest the outcome of what you'd like to create.

Tidal aquariums require more equipment attention and specific species, on the other hand a female sorority of bettas require less.

An aquarium is a God centered or creationist hobby to put it bluntly
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Frankly, at the moment, I have no other hobbies. I wouldn't do something as complex as this for a few years at least--if I ever do--but it does not hurt anyone one bit to pipedream and plot and wonder.

-
-
-

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 09:12 PM
Algae Grower

A tank that is part water and part land for crabs is great - hermit crabs like a fair amount of humidity, and will climb on plants - they would perfer something that has more land and less water with sturdy plants. I have a set up for chilli crabs. They need to have deeper/more water but access to land as well. They do like to dig in the land, and will also climb up rocks/plants/filter hoses ect. Good luck.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I did something similar to the crab idea in a 20gal long turtle tank. I roughly siliconed in some rocks to hold the soil in place, put a small piece of landscape fabric behind the rocks and added soil. The largest expense was obviously the tank itself. The issue with this type of set-up and hermit crabs is that they like to burrow into the bank, so you'll end up with murky water without a lot of filtration.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 11:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
you can actually build a nice paludarium on a decent budget. will it be a tidal tank, no freaking way!! but a sweet paludarium for some sort of crabs or newts can easily be done a on a budget.

-Bill

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

My mom brought of the idea of making one for some anoles. They're so cute, and I imagine they'd be perfect in a little paludarium, right? Or salamanders.

Or a snake. I'd love a snake.

-
-
-

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I used to keep land hermit crabs, and even though they are terrestrial, most types still require access to both fresh and salt water deep enough for them to be submerged in. They fill their shells with water and carry it around to keep their abdomen moiste, and they mix fresh and salt water to get the right balance of pH and salinity. The only kind I know of where it is generally acceptable to only provide them with fresh water is the most common one with the roundish, smooth purple claw, known as the "purple pincher". They also require high humidity as despite being terrestrial, they still have modified gills which need to stay moist. If the humidity is too low, they will slowly suffocate to death as their gills harden over the course of up to a year.

When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire
When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire
Oh, be thou then the first, the one thou art, be thou the calling, before all answering love
And in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Anoles would be cool, so would something like an eyelash crested gecko. I originally was going to build my paludarium for either a tree boa or tree python, until i saw their price....lol most snakes are going to hide, so you'll probably never see them. And if you like handling snakes, you have to build so you can find/remove them. Research, research, research. Can't stress that enough. Choose the inhabitant first, then build to suit.

-Bill

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Anoles would be cool, but with them I would definitely down-play the water part, and you're going to want height.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade View Post
Anoles would be cool, but with them I would definitely down-play the water part, and you're going to want height.
+1 on that, and lots of foliage.

-Bill

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode