Paludarium Inhabitants??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Paludarium Inhabitants???

I will be creating my first Paludarium soon (hopefully) with either a 75g bow front, or a 100g standard. I am one of those weird people that actually enjoys researching things, so I've been looking into this for about 5 months now (besides, it gives me time to squirrel away money so my wife doesn't know how much I spend on things).
Anyway, I have a pretty good handle on how I'm going to set it up. I dont have a particular environment in mind (rain forest, bog, etc.), but I think it will look and function well.
My problem now is picking the right tenants. My original plan was to have some frogs, newts or salamanders, fish, shrimp, snails, and maybe a crayfish. I am finding, however, that its not that simple. That, my friends, is where you come it. I need help picking my critters.
My set up plan is to have 10" to 12" of water and land mass on both sides of the tank, totaling about 1/2 the tank in dry/damp land. There will be branches and other things for those who wish to climb and I will also create a shallow water area.
I'm looking for TRUE amphibians (those who will use the water and land areas). I say TRUE because I'm finding that some critters listed as amphibians either spend all of their time in the water or on land, but not both. Also, as much as I love how most of the smaller frogs look, I have to find ones that dont make too much noise (It was hard enough getting my wife to agree to this without chirping frogs).
Other then passing on a singing chorus of frogs, I'm open to other suggestions.
Thanks,
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 12:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Bump for similar interest, I want a dart frog some day down the line.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 01:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
When I was much younger I had Fire Belly Newts. They didn't come out of the water often, but they were extremely entertaining. My plan is for a much smaller 20g this time so I will be looking mainly at fish, but newts and poison arrow frog would be very cool.

That tank really tied the room together
Fraternity of Dirt
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech
Member #13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
When I was much younger I had Fire Belly Newts. They didn't come out of the water often, but they were extremely entertaining. My plan is for a much smaller 20g this time so I will be looking mainly at fish, but newts and poison arrow frog would be very cool.
I've thought about fire bellies and poison arrow frogs. But I'm a little worried about the poison leeching into the water and hurting the fish/shrimp/snails. Should I be concerned about this? I will have a pretty good filtration system hooked up to the water area. Is that enough to remove whatever these guys excrete into the water?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
poison dart frogs that are sold as pets do not have poison becasue they odnt have the same diet as they do in the wild
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns286 View Post
I've thought about fire bellies and poison arrow frogs. But I'm a little worried about the poison leeching into the water and hurting the fish/shrimp/snails. Should I be concerned about this? I will have a pretty good filtration system hooked up to the water area. Is that enough to remove whatever these guys excrete into the water?
I'm 100% confident that they will be fine. As my 20g progresses, I've decided to add a Dart frog along with cherry shrimp. It will be a bit before I get to it though.
Is this tank your first attempt? If things work out on my 20g with the waterfall idea, I'll be doing my 46g with waterfall, fog system, and rain system.

That tank really tied the room together
Fraternity of Dirt
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech
Member #13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 12:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
i wouldn't put dart frogs in a paludarium. if they get in the water, they'll drown.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 12:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatB View Post
i wouldn't put dart frogs in a paludarium. if they get in the water, they'll drown.
Ive heard the same.. maybe although it wont look 100% right you could set up a net system over the water but have a tube in back where u can drop food.. u get the idea
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 07:27 AM

I keep fire bellied toads and white clouds together without any problems. The toads softly bark once in a while but are mostly quiet and utilize both the land and water features.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 05:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Tiger salamander? Or some related species..
Fire bellied toads
Leopard frog?
Sirens/mudpuppy/axolotls ..not quite land creatures though
Not sure about crabs? Fiddlers, red claws, some other species... take into account brackish water. Crayfish

If you can keep it covered, maybe a whole life cycle for nymphs :P
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 05:46 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Turtles!!!!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretninja View Post
Turtles!!!!
A turtle will not cooperate, if you ask me. Even hatchling sliders will destrot stems and swords. I have a hard time even keeping duck weed with mine.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for all the responses. I think turtles are out, for now.
Does anyone have any sucess stories about mixed tanks?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 05:32 PM
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatB View Post
While this is true, I'd you incorporate some kind of exit out of the water (such as a nice piece of driftwood coming out onto land) this shouldn't be a huge problem.

I kept darts in a paludarium for over a year with a huge portion of water, they would jump above the water on leaves of bromeliads easily, never had one drown.

I kept fish in the water portion with no problems.

Also a lot of darts aren't super noisy. The cover helps muffle it but some species you can really on hear if you're trying, just need to research the right species for you.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Given the size of the tank and approximate depth of water, you should be pretty unlimited in what you want to keep. Crayfish are kind of cool, but it would take lots to make any impression in that size of tank. Dart frogs would certainly be cool, but they don't use the water portion, just that land. Leopard frogs would probably be noisy. If you end up going with a native amphibian that is primarily a landdweller, you may want to consider adding some native pygmy sunfish, least killifish, and/or swamp darters. I would mix the natives with tropicals, but it would be a change of pace to go native. White Cloud minnows are also a good option from what I've read, as they are not really tropical. If you're a snake person, you might consider a garter snake, as they will often swim. No native salamanders that would look cool up there in N.Y.?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode