Paludarium Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Paludarium Question

I read a REALLY good article about Paludarium's. Here's the link:

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/a...ll-article.htm

The writer refers to the fact that if you use "egg crate" as you island/land mass base, the terrestrial plant roots will grow thru the holes in the base and seek out the water column for nutrients. I was wondering if anyone knew if this happens with most terrestrial plants? Or, just the ones that he mentions in the article? I think that the roots hanging in the water will look really cool, but I dont want to try this just to have the plant die because I used one's that cant get nutrients from just straight water. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Bill Landers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 01:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would not try carnivorous plants.

My zebrina(trandescantia), pothos, jasminium, spider, cloves and peace lily spathe plants all threw out roots in 3 three days, just make sure you have lights, preferably high output, and circulation.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
I put a compact hygro stem on a rock covered in emerged Christmas moss and it's grown super bushy and has roots deep in the water. Looks cool.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Ok. Sorry to sound like such a newb (which I am in this) but, what do you do, glue the plant to the egg crate? Or tie it? What would be the best way to attach the plant to it to help facilitate the growth of the roots into the water?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 01:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns286 View Post
Ok. Sorry to sound like such a newb (which I am in this) but, what do you do, glue the plant to the egg crate? Or tie it? What would be the best way to attach the plant to it to help facilitate the growth of the roots into the water?
1) Get some biosponge, and use the suction plugs,
2) Make a mesh pot and use gravel and biosponge, and use suction plugs to attach to side glass.

There's a thread somewhere, just search for planters on general discussion or DIY.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
An easier (and often much more convincing) way to do this is to just get a big manzanita stump and stick it half-submerged right in the middle of the tank. Some plants will grow right on the stump, while others can be grow in mesh pots nestled into crevices in the driftwood.

You can get good results using an eggcrate structure for your land area, but you can also get a big mess.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode