Riparium Redux New Plants New Pix - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Riparium Redux New Plants New Pix

So, given the climate here, a Patio Riparium is a dicey undertaking. Moved everything to the Fish Room and decided I could set something up that would fit multiple needs.

Fluval 205 Canister

Tank: 20 gallon rimless [I think its an "Owner de-rimmed"--off Craigslist]

Bottom: Peace River. Rocks from around.

All the Riparium Planters new and used from Hydrophyte here on TPT!

Bacopa and Baby Pandas from him as well.
Aluminum plant
Purple Waffle
Java ferns on wood

Lighting: 2 clamp lights w/ 20 watt CFL 6700K bulbs suspended over the tank

Traveling Guppy Circus

I took down a 10 gal guppy tank [I'm waiting for them to all grow big enough to give to my son's classroom tank] and used all the media, water, etc to set up this 20 gal with a brand new Fluval 205. I'd been wanting to have that filter up and running for use on another tank later. Turned it all into a riparium. Pics when it clears. Peace lily still pending!

sox

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sockfish; 05-01-2012 at 02:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Photo Riparium Redux

The Famous Travelling Guppy Circus [one Mom and couple dozen fry] is doing well--I'm glad to see the very tiniest ones are doing OK in the current provided by the Fluval filter.

The lights seems to be doing the job. This whole effort is somewhat "ghetto", but I didn't want to spend too much of my 5 yr old's college money just to try it all out!

sox

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sockfish; 05-01-2012 at 02:31 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)
Yeah, It lives, it really lives! Looks great! Sorry to hear about the snow troubles but so happy to see that it's up and running and looks fantastic. I spy a traveling guppy circus. Now we just need a close up or two of the plants and infamous fishies. Doesn't look ghetto

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
That looks like a nice start! It looks like you have a couple of baby panda bamboo started pretty well in there.

You can get surprisingly good results using CFLs in those clamp lights. Plants seem to really like the light from the "cool daylight" CFLs.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

New Plants New Pix

So the local "high end" nursery [at least by Michigan standards....] is open and I went trolling for plants on my day off. I've added:

"Baby Tut" Umbrella grass

"Bloody Doc'--Rumex sanguineus

'Ogon'--Acorus gramineus [thanks, hydrophyte!]

They are supposedly "Bog plants"--The Baby Tut and the Sedge are sitting higher in their pots--the waterline is below the substrate in the pots. I'm going by the depth level on the labels that came with the plants. Hoping the gurus can chime in on this plant selection!

FULL SHOT

CLOSE UP

OGON BLOOM

Last edited by sockfish; 05-01-2012 at 05:22 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
That looks great, really liking the bloody dock.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Really nice plants that you got. The Cyperus 'Baby Tut' is one of my favorites.

That lime-green grassy plant is not a Carex. It is Acorus gramineus 'Ogon'. That plant can look very nice in a riparium, but I stopped using it because it had so many problems with spider mites and other pests. If you keep it in there I recommend giving it an overnight dunk right in the tank once every three weeks or so. This will help to kill off pests that might find it.

Remember you can get the best effect by filling the aquarium water up to almost even with the top rims of the riparium planters. This will help to hide them and make a more natural scene.

That Rumex is an attractive plant, but it might be one of those pond plants that requires a cool winter dormancy. It might start to flake out toward the end of the summer.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

hydrophyte--I was hoping you'd comment. So much for the labels the nursery put on the plants! I have corrected my post above for other readers. I will put them in up to the water line--I just wasn't sure from the tags that had come with the plants. Thank you for the advice!

sox

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Do you still have the baby panda bamboo? That is one of the coolest riparium plants.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes, the Panda is still there--all the way to the right as you look at the full tank shot. I combined the 2 plants into 1 planter for now.

sox

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
nice looking tank! I tried the bacopa and it didnt do well, it dried out after a day or two.

The grass isn't always greener in the other tank.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The Bacopa is really the easiest, fastest growing plant I have. It's entirely on the rafts. About once a week, I pinch off the longer shoots and put the cut end through the raft into the water. It roots pretty quickly.

socks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode