Anyone ever grown a Carnivorous plant in a Riparium Planter? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Anyone ever grown a Carnivorous plant in a Riparium Planter?

Just curious, I have an open planter right now and thought it might be a cool experiment. Venus Fly traps are pretty cheap online and would look pretty neat I think. I was reading that they live in bogs and swamps so they might work in a riparium.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 05:45 AM
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Don't feed ladybugs. They don't like ladybugs. They die if you feed them ladybugs. I killed a lot feeding them ladybugs.

I don't know If it'll work, but steer clear of ladybugs as food
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 06:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
The person at the grow store by my house said it would be fine I'm waiting for them to come in So I can try it

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 06:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

one thing to remember is that they are sensitive to fertilizer, so be wary if you dose other plants in your tank. I'd really like to get one going in one of my tanks as well, but i'm also trying to lower the pH a bit first also.

good luck
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 08:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

the biggest thing to remember is that these plants doing poorly with even a little nitrogen is present, as it typically burns their roots. i would say most carnivorous plants are not suitable.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 10:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
You could block off the holes in the riparium planter to prevent the water from going in.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 01:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I read that they only expend the energy to eat bugs when they can't get certain nutrients any other way. When they eat bugs it uses alot of energy and they don't get more energy from the bugs they eat. They get energy like any other plant. In that regard, I don't know if flytraps and others that have active responses to "catch" bugs can handle frequent bug feedings. Just something to think about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
My experience with carnivorous plants is with Venus Flytraps, Pitcher Plants, Nepenthes and a few Sundews. All of these require an acidic enviroment and very low nutrient soil. In nature they don't eat tons of food. Never ever stuff like hamburger etc...it will kill them, they rot.
I've seen flytraps, sundews and pitcher plants in their natural enviroments often in sandy soil, sphagnum moss or a few peat bogs...always moist and nearly always high sun light.
They can be fed diluted ferts, but in a riparian enviroment I think they would be very hard to cultivate.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
The key to doing this successfully is obviously in the species choices as you can see from some of the links in this thread. It can be done, and be awesome;
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...-question.html

Unfortunately I don't have it figured out yet
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Most carnivorous plants prefer to be outside, but you can grow some of them in an enclosure. I think that something more like a paludarium or terrarium would probably work better than a riparium.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thats a good point hydrophyte, I forgot the OP was asking in terms of a riparium, which traditionally does not have a land area. Carnivorous plants require soil (generally a sand/peat moss mix), and I think all the tanks linked in or shown in that thread I posted a link to are paludariums or terrariums. I don't think that carnivorous plants are hydrophonic enough to survive in a riparium tank.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 05:53 PM
Planted Member

I've got two Nepenthes growing in a paludarium, but only one of them is pretty much in a riparium sort of a planter.

This one I spray (=water) with fresh water a couple of times a week. It's in a natural cork bark planter:

The other one is in a coconut shell, and gets water capillary from the slightly brackish tank.

I would say pitcher plants would be great for a riparium. They like it moist and humid. Just keep the planter up & fluffy.

"There is no name for what I'm going to be when I get big."
-Tom Robbins

Earth. I think we can make a buck on it so let's destroy it.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Great advice guys! Sounds like its not something I could do if I wanted to keep a standard riparium layout with the planter under water. But like HX76 above says, all I would need to do it raise the planter above the water so just the base is touching the bottom, definitely something to keep in mind, thanks!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 09:12 AM
Algae Grower

Not to sure if i should post this ( mod's can remove if it against the rules).
Ive keep this it my book marks , makes for good reading.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...nt-layout.html
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 02:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

^ That is an excellent thread - its also linked in the thread that I linked.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode