Newbie - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi,

I have recently been hooked into terrariums/vivariums, but have no idea where to start from, what would be a good starting set-up, for a college student.

I am mostly interested in carnivorous plants, a fog(mist)waterfall, or rain forest set up, if these are way out of my league, please do say so.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 02:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jose890 View Post
Hi,

I have recently been hooked into terrariums/vivariums, but have no idea where to start from, what would be a good starting set-up, for a college student.

I am mostly interested in carnivorous plants, a fog(mist)waterfall, or rain forest set up, if these are way out of my league, please do say so.

Thanks
I did some quick reading and it sounds to me like it would be easier to do a rain forest with possibly a fog/mist waterfall than it would be to do a carnivorous plant habitat. Carnivorous plants tend to like acidic, rain or distilled water and from what I read it sounds like the minerals in tap water can eventually kill them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Are you planning to combine the plants with a water feature beyond the mist/waterfall feature or are you planning just that for your water feature?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

nothin's out of your league if you do the research and plan out patiently before hand Aside from that, you'll learn more and more from your experiences from one to the next, so get your hands dirty! Lots of great info here.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thank you for your quick responses.

kamikazi: thank you, I had read about that, but did not understand what they ment about the water

Wy Renegade: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdxU12uciYU this is what got me going, and I would love something like that, I would also like to add an orchid, is that possible?

CannaBrain: the thing is my money is pretty much limited, so I need my project to succed as I can not go around just shopping some more.

(I hope i answered correctly, im new to forums)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 04:23 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hey,
I've put maybe about $130 into this setup, which is pretty terrible and I'm unhappy with at the moment if I must say, water features are a little difficult especially if they aren't set up right; things can get clogged or not flow right and I've set up a whole viv and had to tear it down to find the problem with the water to which I ended up tossing the idea of the water feature. But back to my setup, it was mainly for the terrarium kit itself, the fogger, the inhabitant and the substrate. Plants for this size didn't cost very much as there isn't much space for a whole bunch. They can cost quite a bit if you get the shipped.
If you use a fogger I'd recommend not using a reptile fogger as they get loud and tend to break. Instead maybe try a humidifier like you'd use if you're sick or what not.

Edit: and some orchids are pretty easy going I'd maybe recommend going over to dendroboard.com and drool over the vivs they have just like the fish tanks you'll see here.

This is bat country.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Drgonzo: it actually looks good .

Btw is using a medium fish tank bad?, because where I live, thats like the only kind of tank I could buy, and I am not very good at building stuff.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:05 AM
Planted Member

Medium fish tank?

This is bat country.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

umm sorry having translation problems

acuarium?

like umm 40 cm width x 1 meter long x 52cm height?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:20 AM
Planted Member

Oh so how many gallons would it be around then? Like a 55 or 75?
The pic I have was of a 10 gal vert but you can make any aquarium into a vivarium.

This is bat country.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yes I would buy a tank from 40-55 (those dimensions where for 55 which is the biggest I can afford)

so it doesnt matter? it can be sideways and work well?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:39 AM
Planted Member

Yeah it would work great. Wish I had the room or I'd have one too.

This is bat country.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode