little plant terrarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
little plant terrarium

was planning to make this vase into a little planted tank vase but then i turned it into a terrarium instead.. thought i'd share a photo here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nikon #48

I <3 New Zealand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

a) gravel
b) charcoal
c) sphagnum moss
d) potting mix and plants

Nikon #48

I <3 New Zealand
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)
ooh, it's quite lovely! Your photography is very nice as well.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff View Post
ooh, it's quite lovely! Your photography is very nice as well.
thanks I love my camera its awesome

Nikon #48

I <3 New Zealand
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 08:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I love it! I've been dying to make a succulent terrarium.

-KC

Lover of kuhli loaches and dwarf puffers!
RAOK Club #123!

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What camera are you using? Though, I suspect the user has something to do with the quality

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@kcartwright856 you totally should its really easy..

@duff its a Nikon D60 and I was using a Sigma 30mm 1.4 lens.

Nikon #48

I <3 New Zealand
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very nice! I've been looking into a new camera and have heard nothing but good things about the D60. I like the terrarium idea much better then as a little water vase!...

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@duff yes its really quite nice. And not as heavy as my sister's d7000 haha. though her's has more functions I find that mine does enough for what I want it to.

As for the water vase, I decided I couldn't see any fishies being all that happy in it. And its much more low maintenance this way... In the meantime...I keep seeing gorgeous ripariums on here and I want to make one

Nikon #48

I <3 New Zealand
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hi Indigo - to answer your question on the planters. another member here "Hydrophyte" sells the riparium planters and they the mix inside them is small hydroton balls and gravel and a bit of fertilizer. They are wonderful! The hydroton balls (I think that is what they are called) are typically used in hydroponics from my understanding and these are a smaller version of them. I am new to ripariums (about 4 months) and they are wonderfully easy to care for, much more then a fully planted tank.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for answering my question and being so helpful Not sure if i can get them in New Zealand but I will have a look.

Nikon #48

I <3 New Zealand
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 02:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
if you can't find hydroton in a hydro store. check a pet store that sells reptiles. it is used as an aqua layer in vivariums to keep humidity up. they are just clay balls. i'm using them in a viv build i'm working on to build an emersed section.

-Bill

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

just bought a 20L pyrex bottle that I'm going to turn into another terrarium
It makes the other one look small.
looking around for plant ideas at the moment. I think maybe some pilea and some ferns. was planning to make a succulent terrarium but the bottle is probably more suited to plants that like a more moist environment... the person that I bought it from seemed to think it would be good to keep fish in but I don't think so..the opening would be a pain to get things in and out of for water changes and to clean.

Nikon #48

I <3 New Zealand
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Love the pics--what a fine little terrarium!

sox

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode