A couple vivarium questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
A couple vivarium questions

Hey all, new here with just a couple questions.

I really want to start up a vivarium/paludarium in this small reptile cage that I have. It's a zoo med terrarium, and its dimensions are 12x12x18. It is a sealed glass cage with I think around 3 inches of bottom until the glass meets the door.

I don't want a huge water section, I just want a tiny bit of water, maybe an inch or 2 inches, and then from the left corner I would like to have sortof a little waterfall that trickles down diagonally into the little pond section. I think it can easily be done with a small pump, but how will I be able to section the pump off from the dirt?

Since I'm on the dirt subject now, what will I be using so that it can co-mingle with the pond section? I haven't the slightest idea of what to use that will allow plant life to grow, but won't contaminate or suck up all of the water.

On to the inhabitants. I really just want to setup this vivarium for the plants, so what kind of cool plants can I keep? I was really looking for a tropical rainforest kind of thing, so I know I have to keep the humidity up pretty constant, but I'm ok with that. Also, will the cage get all of the heat from the light that I use? Sort of like reptile tanks get their heat from the kind of bulbs that are used?

Not sure if I'm missing anything... Please let me know! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)
Hi Zer0! Welcome to TPT.
I think the best visual for land water separation is found here:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ri...ice-setup.html

Another great place to troll for idea's is here: http://www.dendroboard.com

Hydrophyte (a member here as well as a member on the board above) might be able to give you some ideas on plants as well.

My only experience is with planted tanks and (newly) Ripariums. Possibly someone else can chime in with some ideas for you.

Again welcome !

Duff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff View Post
Hi Zer0! Welcome to TPT.
I think the best visual for land water separation is found here:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ri...ice-setup.html

Another great place to troll for idea's is here: http://www.dendroboard.com

Hydrophyte (a member here as well as a member on the board above) might be able to give you some ideas on plants as well.

My only experience is with planted tanks and (newly) Ripariums. Possibly someone else can chime in with some ideas for you.

Again welcome !

Duff
Thanks for the reply dude! Yeah, that tank is really beautiful, I'm just trying to think of way to execute something similar in a tank so much smaller. Partitioning off the water and land sections with plexiglass like that seems like a really smart idea, and plexiglass is easy to acquire and cut so that may be something to consider.

It's just hard to know exactly what I want yet.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Actually wow, the tank I was looking at the other day but couldn't find it again is right here lol: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ri...-vivarium.html

I really want to create a water section like that. Nothing to ridiculous, just a small portion of water. But how can I incorporate a kind of trickling waterfall into that whole setup? Is it impossible with that amount of water? I was thinking I would just need a tiny pump that can suck in water through flex hose and then pump it back out, sortof like how pond pumps work. They site outside the pond and suck in water through a hose and then divert the water somewhere else to something like a waterfall.

If it isn't realistic I guess I'll just stick with a tiny water section like the one in that thread instead of having a waterfall.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:36 PM
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Dendroboard is your place to go, anything we think is cool over here is probably average over there, they have by far the coolest vivariums and paludariums you could imagine. Light will be all the heat you need. Separating by plexiglass will be fine. I'll reply another day when I have time to read over everything, tapatalk limits me!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWA View Post
Dendroboard is your place to go, anything we think is cool over here is probably average over there, they have by far the coolest vivariums and paludariums you could imagine. Light will be all the heat you need. Separating by plexiglass will be fine. I'll reply another day when I have time to read over everything, tapatalk limits me!
Awesome! Thanks dude! Much appreciated! Heading over to dendroboard now, but I think I'll stick around here for the most part though. I like this site.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Definitely stick around here (at least occasionally) of all the sites out there (IMO) this is the friendliest/most helpful with tons of interaction. Plus you'll see that lots of folks here are also on the other boards that have to do with tanks (wet or dry). Be sure to keep us updated on your creation.

Also, FWIW I don't think glass and acrylic sheets hold together for long periods of time (from what I have read, not from real life) but Dendroboard is the place to go for that info. Good luck!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff View Post
Definitely stick around here (at least occasionally) of all the sites out there (IMO) this is the friendliest/most helpful with tons of interaction. Plus you'll see that lots of folks here are also on the other boards that have to do with tanks (wet or dry). Be sure to keep us updated on your creation.

Also, FWIW I don't think glass and acrylic sheets hold together for long periods of time (from what I have read, not from real life) but Dendroboard is the place to go for that info. Good luck!
Definitely sticking around here, I can assure you, and anything I build in the coming weeks I will be sure to document and start my own build thread.

And you are correct, plexiglass and glass don't bond well together. I am a saltwater reefer and I've had my fair share of mess ups trying to silicone acrylic to glass to make sumps. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not lol. I will be using egg crate and window screening to make my land area. I learned this is how most people make "false bottoms". Should be fun.

Thanks again duff!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 09:29 PM
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The acrylic and glass bond wouldn't be strong, but I'm assuming it's a very small area, so the bonding shouldnt be a huge problem. You could use glass though, ace cuts glass pretty cheap
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah it shouldn't really be a problem but I think I'm just going to use the eggcrate false bottom method. That way the water can collect in the bottom from all the misting. Can't have the soil water logged right?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Correct, its is best you keep it dry - otherwise you might end up with funky mold/fungus in the soil. Another idea is acrylic sheets and black pond spray foam. That might give it extra hold on along with using the silicone. Also, you can use a small pump with long tubing to create a small waterfall. just make sure you leave an area in the water section to house the pump and then hide the tubing behind a wall or in a corner. I have a small sump and one section has a valve on it to adjust the flow.

Keep us posted!

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 01:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Actually wow, the tank I was looking at the other day but couldn't find it again is right here lol: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ri...-vivarium.html

I really want to create a water section like that. Nothing to ridiculous, just a small portion of water. But how can I incorporate a kind of trickling waterfall into that whole setup? Is it impossible with that amount of water? I was thinking I would just need a tiny pump that can suck in water through flex hose and then pump it back out, sortof like how pond pumps work. They site outside the pond and suck in water through a hose and then divert the water somewhere else to something like a waterfall.

If it isn't realistic I guess I'll just stick with a tiny water section like the one in that thread instead of having a waterfall.
i dunno if you'd want to go for it, but if you didn't mind a pre-formed shape, you could probably get a large-ish reptile/amphibian water dish and bury the sides in dirt before filling it. then again, you'd probably have to go extra thick on the dirt for that, and it would take up a lot of space. but if you're lazy, then it's probably the easy way out :'D
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 04:17 AM
Algae Grower

I'm fairly new to the mixing of land and water. I've been thinking of doing something similar to what your thinking. So far I have a 20 gallon tank that I have a land section and a water section. To achieve the land I've used a plastic tub, then surrounded it with various aquarium gravel and larger rocks. I was having a problem with too much water splashing into the dirt, so I attached(with a small screw) a piece of plexiglas. I left a few inches of clearance between the plexiglass and the front side of my tank to allow room for my critters ( red chilli crabs) to go from the water to the land. Good luck with your set up.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode