New paludarium questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
New paludarium questions

I just tore down my planted tank and have started building my paludarium. Im doing the polyurethane/silicone/coco fiber method. I have a couple concerns though. Im trying to make it as easy, maintenance free and accessible as possible. I dont want to have to tear the background apart if something goes wrong.

I am planning on flooding about 5 gallons or so in the bottom on the tank and sloping gravel so that about a quarter of the footprint of the tank is "open water". The other 3/4 will be a 4-5" of water but will be completely filled with gravel. Im going to put some crafting plastic guards in place to help hold the gravel in shape. Then I can make small adjustments with my hands when necessary.

Is 4 or 5" of static substrate through 3/4 of the water in the tank too much? Im worried about anaerobic/long term static substrate issues. It will be eco complete and my filter should turnover the amount of water in the tank at least 10 times an hour.

On top of the gravel will sit my coco fibered background. I was thinking I could run my filter so that the water flows down the background to essentially water some of the plants.

Will the silicone/coco fiber background hold up to constant running water?

Thanks for reading all of that. I appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

After reading more and looking at numerous pictures ive decided to go with the titebond III/coconut fiber method.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 06:12 AM
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I used black silicon and coco fiber. Worked really well, do I think it'll stand up to constant water, not a chance.

Where's the land portion? One side or back side?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWA View Post
I used black silicon and coco fiber. Worked really well, do I think it'll stand up to constant water, not a chance.

Where's the land portion? One side or back side?

my land portion is going to be eco complete about 2/3-3/4 of the tank footprint. I used silicone to bond some egg crate type material to the bottom to help generate the gravel slopes. The sloped gravel will create the land and water parts. I also fenced in a 6"x4" back corner with the same mesh-silicone method to keep gravel out and I am putting a submersible filter inside of that. It should help pull water through the gravel.

The polyurethane/titebond/cocofiber monstrosity will sit on top of the gravel land. I've also left a gap in the corner top of the background to access the filter. So its "hollow" behind the structure.

Im hoping the plants will grow in enough to hide the boundary between gravel and coco fiber.

Right now im thinking it should work just fine.

edit: ill try to get some pictures up later.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode