Coldwater riparium suitable plants? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question Coldwater riparium suitable plants?

I am planning to construct a 75 gallon coldwater riparium (50-65*) and so far I have chosen the following plants:

Roots submerged:
Japanese painted fern
Peace Lilly
Spiderwort
Spiderplant
Edit: Golden Philodendron

Does anyone have any experience with these plants in a coldwater riparium set up? I am hoping to find information on their survivability before I purchase them.

I'm also interested in any suggestions for plants. I would really like to have at least one hanging flowering type and one fern.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
How are you planning to keep it at that temperature and with what fish(nutrient source)?

It will be worth a try, but when tropical plants naturally get cold temperatures it triggers a winter dormancy mode (less uptake/processing of nutrients).

Attend a hydroponic/aquaponic meeting in your area and really educate yourself to find out what plants prefer that temp range.

I am considering putting my small Meyer lemon, poinsettia and kalanchoe, which are great winter bloomers, under an aquaponic setup, but I'm still seeking some education on plant's anatomy and aqua conditions.

I have tried jasmium, anthurium, polka-dot pilea, cloves, mints, spaths, and zebrinas very successfully from 65-85F. I also currently have lavender, basil, oregano and catnip as seedlings and hope to transfer to my tanks soon. Lobelia is a trailing flowering plant, but might require high lights for flowers.

Experiment with some herbs first as they are cheap, but it's important to keep roots well aerated with an airstone, have 12hr 6500K lights above them, and a nutrient source (CO2, NPK, trace).
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for your reply AirstoND! I will check those options out. I didn't realize I could use herbs also. This whole idea started when I found a link to a plant filtration system while planning the tank. Went from a normal tank to a whole project!

The set up is for an axolotl tank. I have one axolotl in a 20gL which I keep cooled with a fan and an ice box system. Generally it's not a lot of work to keep it cool in my house since I have a cool bottom level (split level). I plan to buy three more lotls for my 75g long.

I've had java moss, anubias nana, moss balls, riccia, baby tears, micro sword, dwarf hair grass (and a few others I forget the name of) in that tank. I did notice they grow VERY slowly if at all most times. Other than the java moss. I think that stuff is nearly as hardy as those dang m. snails!

Anyway the plan was to either buy a chiller or use a similar system for my 75g. I am experimenting with that for a little while before introducing the lotls.

I found Peace Lily and Philodendron cheap at Lowes yesterday and I am going to try those out in the 20gL in some small HoB containers...I did more research and I guess the thing to do is buy cheap plants and just try them lol!

I really am wondering about the fern though. I really really would like to have one but I am not sure the japanese painted fern will do well in the cold water. Perhaps I will find one that will work or something just as good.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 12:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Most of those plants are not riparium suitable. The only one that can grow very well in a riparium is Spathiphyllum, but it needs warmer water.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Most of those plants are not riparium suitable. The only one that can grow very well in a riparium is Spathiphyllum, but it needs warmer water.
Okie doke. Thanks for the reply. I have been looking at a new angle anyway and may be on to something.

Onward with the adventure
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 01:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

hydrophyte: What do you mean they're riparium suitable? I think a properly setup tank will sustain any plant.

Out of the plants you've listed Vira, the Japanese fern I have not seen as "riparium ready", but sure seems possible with an EDUCATED effort. You can have roots in gravel filled planter underwater but with an airstone to provide gas exchange, though I'm unsure of temp, pH, etc being compatible with others on list, which all I have successfully aquaponically grown off my fish tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02948.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	43774  

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 03:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstoND View Post
hydrophyte: What do you mean they're riparium suitable? I think a properly setup tank will sustain any plant.
No it won't! The best plants for growing in ripariums are those that occur in permanently wet situations in nature. These are the ones that can thrive long-term with their roots in an underwater situation. They are also the plants that make the best representation of the shoreline environment.

I have watched over and over again where people put terrestrial plants of all kinds in ripariums and their roots just rotted out and the plants died. It is very different for a plant to have its roots permanently wet. If you plant most any kind of regular terrestrial plant in a wet shoreline it will most likely just die. Spathiphyllum happen to be plants that grow along streams or in jungle swamps, so they can grow very well in a riparium too.

Growing plants with aquarium water that either wicks up into the root zone or recirculates la hydroponics is different--even many epiphytic orchids can grow well that way--and requires a different kind of setup.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Talking

While I don't have anything to add about hydroponics at the moment, I did want to thank AirstoND for identifying a plant for me (albiet by accident!).

The tradescantia in your photo matches a plant I've been keeping for my grandmother while she is in Florida. I had no clue what it was and she did not either lol. I've been caring for it as best I can and it's fine but it helps when you know what it is! So thanks
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 01:24 AM
Algae Grower

i've had pothos, spider plants, certain philodendrons, dreacena, christmas cactus, growing with wet roots in jars and aquarium situations, at room temp(65ish in winter) and at tropical temps for 10 years or so. i would think the temp is your real problem.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
If you wanted to try cold water plants you may look into Bald Cypress tree or Pond Cypress. I have no idea if it would even be possible, but I'm sure if you could get some seedlings they could be grown in a planter. From all the pics and from what I've seen in the wild they don't have a problem with wet feet and they could look really cool. I've tried asking if they are possible on other forums, but I've yet to get a response. Just a thought.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Literally anything sold as a marginal plant for ponds.

Fraternity of dirt no. 60.

Got a tank? Doing it filterless? Add it here!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode