Can I create a Riparium with this tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can I create a Riparium with this tank?

I bought this for my GF to grow herbs in the winter. As you can see non are doing well.

If I get the green light I will turn this into a Riparium, never done one. Have a lot of aquarium and high tech planted tank experience.

It came with leds (day and night). not sure if it's enough to grow much. its a marineland 24" wide led.

Thank tank is 24" w x 14" high and 15" depth with front glass 9". Water area would be 14 Gallons.

Lighting specs are: .06 watt White LEDS 51 watts, .06 watt Blue LEDs 2 watts, Lumens = 300

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
75 Gallon High Tech Planted Tank (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) 220 Gallon African Cichlid tank (
)
Ponds

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Part of why your herbs did so poorly is the light is only good enough to illuminate something, not grow plants.

The tank itself would look amazing as a low humidity riparium.

A cheap way to light it would be a T5 from a hydroponics store. Hydrophyte can help you with everything riparium.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Btw, those herbs will do better if you put them by a south facing window. Fanciest tank I've ever seen someone put some cheap potted plants in...

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes, it would make a fantastic riparium. Get a better light and hang it higher though.

Fraternity of dirt no. 60.

Got a tank? Doing it filterless? Add it here!

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Forgot to mention it's next to a window now and get's indirect and some direct lighting for half the day. so leds lighting is not the main lights for plants.

)
Ponds

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

what's a good filter for this setup. I assume a submersible filter like a Hagen U1?

)
Ponds

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Don't use window light to "light" your tank. You'll need more light to grow the plants we grow in aquariums/ripariums.

Sorry.

If the tank isn't tempered on the bottom, a canister filter through a drilled bottom is the best thing for ripariums.

Depending how high you put the water it is relatively easy to run a canister over the back. With a little diy it is easy to do on even low level tanks.

Otherwise, an in tank filter will do the job. Can be sort of hidden under and behind the planters.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newday3000 View Post
what's a good filter for this setup. I assume a submersible filter like a Hagen U1?
A small powerhead with a sponge attached to the inlet should be enough in a Riparium I think.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
What kinds of pots do you have those herbs in? Most herbs do best with brightish light and very good drainage. For most herbs it is best to let the media in the pot dry down quite a bit between waterings. You can keep them going through the winter on sunny windowsill but most herbs grow best outdoors in warm weather.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

well, if the herbs stay... I don't get my riparium. lol so I'll ignore the last post. just kidding. I don't mind spending $$$ on my hobby. I will look at T5 lights. should be fairly cheap for 24" lights. my 75G tank the 4 bulb was expensive.

Still need the green light but plan on showing the GF pic's of ripariums. It's currently in the kitchen.

)
Ponds

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

There's no reason at all why window light wouldn't be enough depending on a) the direction the window is facing b) the size of the window and c) the type of plants used.

I have my herbs on a south facing windowsill and they're doing great with just winter light, which is hardly anything in the UK. I'm also growing ludwigia, hygrophilia and bacopa in the same place.

Fraternity of dirt no. 60.

Got a tank? Doing it filterless? Add it here!

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had several herbs growing for a few months but they slowly declined. Its a bay window. I was hoping to grow herbs still but not have the roots in the water.

I'll post a picture of the setup near the window. I would say it gets 4 hours of direct sun light per day in the location I have it in.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

)
Ponds

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Definitely get with hydrophyte--he's a member here and the owner of Riparium Supply. He's a great resource for info and equipment!

sox

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

just bought some planters to get started from hydrophyte's site. Going to buy fluval underwater filter now too.

)
Ponds

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

)
Ponds

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode